Testing on living things

LMaxwell

You generally cannot test on living things because you might cause them harm, stress them out, or kill them, which is a big no-no in IB.

Concerning bacteria, I'm not entirely sure what's allowed and what's not allowed, but just make sure that you do not grow bacteria at or around human body temperature. Just in case you create a superbug resistant to all antibiotics that kills us all. :P I have seen this one biology EE in the 50 excellent extended essays guide where someone tested on hamsters, and my school did a lab last year where they did some genetics thing with fruit flies. Personally I think that it's a big hassle trying to determine if an animal gets hurt or something, so I'd avoid testing on animals. Ask your teacher for guidance if you're unsure if your experiment crosses the line or not.

Now with plants, no one cares if you kill them. :lol:

Quote IB Extended Essay Guide:

Some topics are unsuitable for investigation because of ethical issues. Investigations that are based on experiments likely to inflict pain on, or cause unnecessary stress to, living organisms are not appropriate for submission. Investigations that are likely to have a harmful effect on health (for example, culturing micro-organisms at or near body temperature), or those which may involve access to, or publication of, confidential medical information, are also not appropriate.
  • Like 2

Would using a human be against the rules? Like testing how levels of certain nutrients decrease depending on certain factors?

Probably not unless you will be doing something like drawing blood or having them do things that could make them ill/die. But I would ask a supervisor or someone experienced with bio EEs

Would using a human be against the rules? Like testing how levels of certain nutrients decrease depending on certain factors?

Probably not unless you will be doing something like drawing blood or having them do things that could make them ill/die. But I would ask a supervisor or someone experienced with bio EEs

I was just asking because I had noticed in the Biology forums that many people used themselves/friends for lab reports, and in one of those cases took blood samples.