A-level Maths versus HL Maths and top10 university entrance

pskou

HI, I am getting into IB diploma, next school year.Planning to study computer science alone or with something else-not yet decided. I would like to be accepted in one of the 10 universities in UK (not OXBridge). One teacher suggested me that i would choose SL MATHS -predicted for 7 (i am very good at maths) and to go for A-levels at the same time and to havebeen examined in all modules by next June. So when i will be ready for application i may have already the results of A-levels hopefuly with A grade (and this will be stated in my PS) and a prediction of SL mATHS with 7. Do you think that Top univesities can accept that? the reason for taking A-level Maths is that HLis too much and more unpredicted compared to the a-level system.

What do you think? have you heard that combination before?

Thanks

Yiota/Greece

I still think you will need Maths HL for Computer Science. believe me, I'm applying for CompSci too (further details in the spoiler in my signature).

perhaps you can then mention in your PS why you're not taking HL Maths in IB (smart reasons please like it's not offered at your school or something and certainly not what you said) or ask your referee to briefly explain that in the reference letter. they might wonder why you're not doing Maths HL in IB.

but then to be on the safe side, I suggest that you take both Maths and Further Maths at A Levels so they're convinced that you are actually good at Maths, as you're capable of doing Further Maths even though you're not taking Maths HL.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well if you really god with Math than i think HL math is the best option to go with.

As personally speaking i have taken HL math and am actually glad to study such a vast subject in which i am getting heel loads of opportunities to skeem through each and every topic of it in my own manner.

Its the most difficult thing to do but its the most preferrable to do.

Thank You.