Chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge?

Guest rustynail

Guest rustynail

IB subjects:

English A1 SL

Spanish ab initio SL

Economics HL

Biology HL

Maths SL

Music HL

TOK: Ethics

EE: Music

Applying as an international student - I'm from Australia.

I'm predicted a total score of either 44 or 45, and have plenty of extracurriculars (which aren't really relevant to the course I'm wanting to take). I've been debating for my school for 5 years now, and I've had 5 days of work experience at a law firm.

What are my chances of getting into Law at either of the universities? I'm not too familiar with the LNAT, so assuming I don't do so well on that.

And, just out of curiosity, what are my chances for an Economics degree?

Edited by rustynail

Law is quite competitive. So is E&M.

Statistically quite low. Especially since you're an international applicant. However, that shouldn't stop you from applying.

It's difficult to say because some people have been rejected with stellar grades because they don't have enough passion for the course and vice versa.

Oh btw Cambridge no longer does the LNAT it's now the Cambridge Law Test.

I'd say you have pretty good chances. You're IB grades are perfect, if you're actually able to achieve them, so no worries there.

According to Oxford's site they interview about 54% or their applicants. The final acceptance rate for Law is 18%.

Let's do the math:

Let's say there are about 1000 law applicants every year, that means about 540 are invited to interview.

Since 18% get accepted, that means 180 people get accepted. Assuming you'll get through to the interview stage(which I'm sure you will) you will be among the 540 people.

180/540 = 0.3333... -> 33%

You being predicted so high and the fact that only probably 70% of IB Oxford offer holders actually make their grades, I'd say your probability of getting into Oxford for Law is around 40%, which is extremely good and reason enough to apply.

Hope that was encouraging and helpful.

• Like 1

You won't have to apply until October, so why not improve your chances? Do some more work experience and try and jam in some relevant extracurriculars so you have a stellar personal statement. Your personal statement and academic grades are only 50% of getting into any course that interviews (which Law at Oxbridge will). 50% is the interview :P

Nobody is familiar with the LNAT but you've got plenty of time to do what everybody does (flick through some past papers).

If you want to come to the UK to do Law at one of the top Universities (Oxbridge or otherwise) you'll need to have all these things anyway so you should work on these regardless of where you want to go.