Learning outcome G - ethical implications

Loeszie.

Hi everyone :)

I am currently getting closer and closer to finishing my CAS, but I am a little confused about learning outcome G: Considered the ethical implications of your actions. I am not really sure how this comes back in my CAS activities. One example could be that in one of my group activities we deliberately excluded someone from joining our group by telling her we didn't need anymore people in our group and later we did take in another girl. I know this is mean, but none of us could work with this girl and she never really worked when she was in a group and we didn't want her to profit (and hence get lots of CAS hours) from our hard work. Is this an ethical implication because it is not morally right to exclude someone? What are some other examples? My CAS activities include creative photography, running 5 km, the yearbook committee and tutoring younger students in Spanish.

Loes

Although they are required, I don't think IB or your CAS coordinator will look into proof or descriptive details as evidence for a fulfilled learning outcome that intensively. Mine kind of just said as long as you can argue it and make points about it, that should suffice.

And yes, I think what you have explained will satisfy that learning outcome; it doesn't necessarily say to involve ethical implications; all you have to do is consider them.

Ethical implications could include anything you think is morally right, to inclusion (like you said) to fairness and any philanthropic cause (walks for cancer, aids, etc., vow of silence, race for dignity... list goes on) I would think. Usually I would couple any the CAS activity with the "global awareness" outcome with this one, as they are closely related.

From your list of activities, I guess you could mention as part of the yearbook committee, your team must consider the amount of photos, spotlight of an individual or grade so everyone in every grade in the yearbook will like it, not just a favoured group. I suggest, however, that you also find new CAS activities so your list of learning outcomes is easier to check off.

Thank you for your help! :)

And the photographs for the yearbook is a good point - I will certainly point that out in my CAS journals, thank you!

The CAS activities I named were just a few of the ones I do, I also organised a charity concert, did nature work, and I am helping with bakesales to raise funds for prom and speech day. So I'm quite sure I'll be able to tick off all the learning outcomes. And if you can tick off all learning outcomes you've completed CAS right? Provided that you've done a range of activities and you have a good balance of C, A and S.

You have to be committed to doing CAS for 18 months of being in the IBDP years. That, is, about 2-3 hours a week. I think that means consistently writing reflections (though I've heard do one per 10 hours as a rule). I've also heard there's a CAS presentation, but I'm not so sure about that.

But checking off all the outcomes and is definitely not being done with CAS.

No of course there's also the presentation and the journals, I know about that - but basically you need to fulfill all the learning outcomes to complete CAS right?

And my school also says 2-3 hours of CAS per week and writing reflections every 10 hours so I'm doing that :)

Edited by Loeszie.