I want to write my paper about Nora's struggle to find herself as an individual. I need help forming a thesis and topic sentences. please help! i was thinking for ideas for my body paragraphs something along these line:

1: pet names. Women are less valued. Traditional societal views.

2: facades. The Christmas tree.

3: secrecy. Forced to hid things because torvald might not approve and nora lives in his shaddow.

4: miss linde serves as a realization for nora that she does not need torvald to be happy.

5: self realization/ courage to act on it.

1. I think Torvald calls Nora with pet names not because of traditional values but because Torvald always dominates Nora (domination of males/husbands over females/wives) so am not sure how this relates to your topic.

2. huh? don't get how it's related to the Xmas tree :/

3. yeah you can use that.

4. I don't really think so.

5. mmm?

I think that your topic is a bit too broad. perhaps you could focus on other things that are more of the focus in the play?

• Like 1

1. I think Torvald calls Nora with pet names not because of traditional values but because Torvald always dominates Nora (domination of males/husbands over females/wives) so am not sure how this relates to your topic.

2. huh? don't get how it's related to the Xmas tree :/

3. yeah you can use that.

4. I don't really think so.

5. mmm?

I think that your topic is a bit too broad. perhaps you could focus on other things that are more of the focus in the play?

Basically i want to write my paper about noras struggle to find herself. and i feel like all of those topics can relate? do you feel like you have any better ideas of topics i can write about in my body paragraphs that may relate better?

I want to write my paper about Nora's struggle to find herself as an individual. I need help forming a thesis and topic sentences. please help! i was thinking for ideas for my body paragraphs something along these line:

3: secrecy. Forced to hid things because torvald might not approve and nora lives in his shaddow.

4: miss linde serves as a realization for nora that she does not need torvald to be happy.

For the most part, I disagree with what Desy has said - maybe because when I studied the book I did focus quite a bit on a similar train of thought to yours. Just to clarify - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your 'paper' so I'm just going to make a few comments in general :)

Maybe rethink your order of paragraphs a little - while your first one is quite prominent within the play itself, I think it gives you a bit less scope for discussion and personal insight, as it is quite over done. I think what you were meaning here is how the pet names are a good 'metaphor' of what the societal views were - right? I think this is a good point, just maybe hard to get a whole OMG THIS IS AWESOME first para out of :)

The christmas tree is definitely something you can develop - it's a direct metaphor for Nora's development and can be interpreted in lots of ways

For the third one, I'm not quite sure of your tack but I would remember, when you have your topic (or a draft of it) make sure you are constantly asking yourself 'how does this fit in?' and make sure you use every single word wisely and in a way that strengthens your argument, as such.

Consider also how Mrs Linde is an example of the independent woman who Nora eventually becomes more like - and is possibly also a kind of heads up for the audience, something to set the standard of what an independent woman is. That said, she does also serve in the way you have said, again try get some different aspects into it :)

I think that you seem to know the main aspects of the book that relate to your proposed topic, just sit down, and scrounge out what it is will be your focus, because this is still quite broad. Explore- get a new tact, something that will make yours awesome. Good Luck !

For the most part, I disagree with what Desy has said - maybe because when I studied the book I did focus quite a bit on a similar train of thought to yours. Just to clarify - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your 'paper' so I'm just going to make a few comments in general :)

Maybe rethink your order of paragraphs a little - while your first one is quite prominent within the play itself, I think it gives you a bit less scope for discussion and personal insight, as it is quite over done. I think what you were meaning here is how the pet names are a good 'metaphor' of what the societal views were - right? I think this is a good point, just maybe hard to get a whole OMG THIS IS AWESOME first para out of :)

The christmas tree is definitely something you can develop - it's a direct metaphor for Nora's development and can be interpreted in lots of ways

For the third one, I'm not quite sure of your tack but I would remember, when you have your topic (or a draft of it) make sure you are constantly asking yourself 'how does this fit in?' and make sure you use every single word wisely and in a way that strengthens your argument, as such.

Consider also how Mrs Linde is an example of the independent woman who Nora eventually becomes more like - and is possibly also a kind of heads up for the audience, something to set the standard of what an independent woman is. That said, she does also serve in the way you have said, again try get some different aspects into it :)

I think that you seem to know the main aspects of the book that relate to your proposed topic, just sit down, and scrounge out what it is will be your focus, because this is still quite broad. Explore- get a new tact, something that will make yours awesome. Good Luck !

Okay thanks so much! Are there any other symbols or anything that you think I am missing that contribute to Nora's struggle for identity that could help make my paper a little bit stronger? Also, could you please help me develop a strong thesis?

Henrik Ibsens use of symbols and motifs in the play A Doll’s House help to create the struggle for identity and self-worth Nora faces. ----thats my thesis as is.

Personally, I think that's a great thesis as is. Originally I agreed with Desy as the topic is kind of broad, but you've narrowed it down. I'd actually focus heavily on the Christmas tree and other less conspicuous symbols. I might be wrong, but I think I remember that Ibsen's lighting often reflected on situations/character attitudes, so you might look at that a little bit. (: