Mathematics HL Links

Andreas Nilsson

I'm currently in the Pre-diploma year and am trying to get into the Math higher course, which my school has a tendency not to give most of the time. Therefore i am wondering if someone has some helpful comments or maybe som links to youtube or anything that could help with getting ahead in mathematics so the school might consider giving it to me. ( I have heard from the IB coordinator at my school that they do give the course if a student can pass a certain entrance test)

So does anyone for example have any links to a summary of how sigma and matrices are used?

Hello,

You needn't worry about that; just make sure you are doing well right now. I haven't come across sigma notation and matrices until senior year math courses, and you probably won't come across them anytime soon until then. I'm not sure about the requirements of HL Math, but right now you should just focus on what you are doing instead of planning ahead. That entrance exam- I can bet it won't have stuff like what you're mentioning; all you need is to be strong in the core principles of what you're learning now; so they will deem you to be an HL Math student later.

Relaxx. You'll get there.

I'm not sure about the requirements of HL Math, but right now you should just focus on what you are doing instead of planning ahead. That entrance exam- I can bet it won't have stuff like what you're mentioning; all you need is to be strong in the core principles of what you're learning now; so they will deem you to be an HL Math student later.

Every school has their own way of doing this, so you'd be better off asking your math teacher what will be on the entrance exam for Math HL. For example, at my school at least, the questions on the exam were a bit closer to the kind of stuff you might find on a math contest (but not quite) so it included stuff that wasn't a part of the school's actual curriculum, but most of the problems were at least accessible if you at least have a strong foundation in the school's curriculum.