Question about science subjects

Aleksis Zalitis

You can only take 2 sciences in the IB unless you appeal to the IBO for permission to do a special version of the diploma. Generally you need to have a decent reason - like needing to do all 3 in order to enter University. You'd need to contact your IB coordinator to try and arrange this.

The sciences are some of the hardest IB subjects so of course it would be hard. Depending on what you're good at. Regardless of how good you are, they'll still require effort.

Building on what Sandwich already said. I know some people who are doing all three Sciences and Maths at HL (or 2 Sciences and Maths at HL and the third Science as an SL). These people pursue a non-conventional diploma. The IBO has given special leave for this kind of diploma where one is not compelled to take a Social Science (Group 3) at all because most (if not all) Medical and Engineering Universities in India require 12th grade students to have taken Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths in order to apply for University Science courses. Because of this requirement, the IBO has made the exception and generally the students pursuing this kind of a diploma gets in touch with their IB Coordinator before IB1 even starts and makes their intention to take a non-conventional diploma clear.

But be aware that this decision should not be taken lightly. The IB Sciences are not a joke, nor easy. 2 Sciences have been enough to wipe away people's will to live in the past, it is very hectic and difficult and you have to be really committed to cope with it all and score well in the end.

Really think about if you need this kind of diploma.

Arrowhead.

I know a few people in my IB cohort who are doing all three sciences. They are, however, only doing the official IB exams for two of them, and only those two are counting towards their diploma. One students seems to be struggling, the other two are doing decently to maybe even above average, and the other two are getting acing all three along with most of the other subjects. Those last two, however, dedicate practically their whole lives to school. It depends on how diligent you are and how much of your life you are willing to sacrifice. Be prepared to sacrifice your social life and almost all your free time.

Unless you actually require the subjects for university, I would strongly suggest not to do it. IB is already tough, and if you are actually interested in getting good grades, doing three sciences is going to really test you due to the amount of time required. Two sciences took up enough time as it was. During my exam block, I reckon about nearly half my study time was dedicated to the sciences with a good rest of it to maths because these subjects just take time away from you if you want to do well. I like my sciences and I was pretty good at them, but in IB it doesn't count as much as you would like to the easiness of science subjects. There is also the IAs to consider. Those of us doing two sciences were always swamped with IAs due to sciences just simply having a lot, and I dont know how I would of coped if I had to put another sciences on top. Doing a group 3 subject really isnt that bad, in fact even as a maths-sciencey person myself, I found my group 3 subject one of my easiest to do well in.

LONG STORY SHORT: If you need three sciences for uni then you don't have a choice anyway, otherwise, do not rush throwing yourself into three

Guest Soiboist
The main conceron is the labatory works you have to do. How hard are they ?

From what I've heard and seen, they're not really hard, but very time-consuming. With three sciences, you will be doing 2-3 lab reports a week and that's painful for anybody.

No, you wouldn't be doing 2-3 lab reports a week. You might have laboratory exercises 2-3 lessons each week if you have science teachers that are truly ambitious about practical work. I am in Biology HL, and I'd say we have about one practical exercise every other week. I know that our school's Chemistry HL teacher is quite ambitious though and lets her students do laboratory work each week. This term we have had 3 assessed labs in total for Biology.

However, I agree that the IA part will probably be the most difficult and exhausting. Yes, literally exhausting. For each science, you need to hand in 2 labs for each type (Design, DCP and CE), which means that you need 6 perfect labs for each subject in the end. Given that you need to practice each type of lab twice before understanding it thoroughly, you'd have 9 (!) assessed labs each term.

(4 labs x 3 types x 3 subjects)/4 terms = 9 labs

I don't know about you, but generally my labs are no less than a few thousand words. Except for that it will be rather difficult (not more difficult than other IAs though), it will be so repetitive! Compare approximately 3 labs each term to one single historical investigation or one single psycholgical study! It's almost ridiculous when you think about it.

But, don't let this put you off if you truly want to do 3 sciences. I find the coursework itself to be very straightforward, and if you like science you will probably find it very enjoyable. Then again, be prepared to become annoyed by the amount of IAs.

Guest Soiboist

Then go for it! Always follow your passions. Quite simple decision: if you like natural sciences and don't like social sciences or humanities, you'd obviously rather spend 150/250 hours on the former.

You have to inform your school and IB coordinator about this though. As Sandwich said, the IBO wants a proper reason for 3 sciences as you won't get an IB Diploma in the conventional way. Universities in Sweden requires Biology, Chemistry and Physics, so stating that you want to go here would be a viable option.

Guest Soiboist

Oh, and I noticed your first post about achieving good results. I know at least two students in my year taking the route with 3 sciences at HL, where one also has Maths to HL. One of them has good grades, the other doesn't. The former studies a lot, the latter barely studies. Achieving good results is never more complicated than that: put in the hard work and be rewarded. Whether you take 3, 2, 1 or 0 sciences (pardon EnSys for the 0) doesn't matter. It's always about your effort.

I'd disagree with Soiboist actually. here, we're doing one lab work every week as well. so, Arrowhead is right, 2-3 labs per week. but this depends on the school. mine is doing it the same way as Arrowhead's.

I'd strongly suggest you not to take all three sciences. well it's your choice and you're the one who will be doing it but people are here to give you ideas on what to do and what not to do. just an interest or a passion is not enough to excel in the three subjects. well who knows you might be that one intelligent lad who can make it but...still

I'm surprised noone has mentioned taking a 7th subject though. or if someone had, sorry for being ignorant. you can take your first science subject in group 4, second one in group 6 and the other one as an extra certificate as your 7th subject. you'll still be doing a full, normal diploma course with your 6 groups subjects but you have another one to fulfill your wants. I think this is better so if you eventually realise that it's too difficult, you can choose not to take your 7th subject and stay with 6 subjects in the diploma programme.

As I said, 2-3 sessions of laboratory work per week is indeed possible and perhaps even probable. What I found highly unlikely was 2-3 lab reports per week.

Hey mate, I wouldn't know. I was never a science person and did ESS in the IB to get as far away from sciences as I could (which incidentally was also my lowest score). One of my old schoolfriend's brother is now in the IB, he's doing all three sciences and Maths at HL. For him, yeah, he's doing 2-3 lab something's a week, dunno if they're reports or not. But I see him look moody, sulky, with big bags under his eyes. So that's all the warning I need not to ask about his coursework.