Format of the Language B IOP

Loeszie.

I have my IOP for Spanish B HL the week after my holidays, so I need to start preparing. My teacher told us that we need to talk/present for 10 minutes and after this we'll have a class discussion about the topic. However, I just checked my OSC guide and there it says 10 - 12 minutes for the entire presentation including the discussion. I also read something similar in this forum, where the presentation is broken up into 3 chunks of 3 - 4 minutes. Is my teacher wrong about the presentation being 10 minutes followed by a discussion?

So what do I do? Do I prepare a 10 minute presentation on the topic (without discussion) or a 3 - 4 minute presentation?

I can e-mail my teacher, but I will only be able to talk to her in person in 2 weeks, and that's 2 days before my presentation...

I hope someone can help! :)

Okay so I was looking at the wrong format... I looked at the format for the individual oral presentation, but I need to look at the interactive oral presentation format. But I am still confused, because we are doing the presentation individually followed by a class discussion, but my OSC guide says it should be in pairs or groups?

Which one exactly are you talking about? We don't call it IOP in language B. The two orals are called:

- Individual Oral

This is where you need to choose a support material like an article or something. You need to talk about that article for 3-4 minutes, then your teacher will ask you questions about that article for 3-4 minutes, followed by a general discussion for 3-4 minutes. for example about your future plan, your extra curricular activities, or about any daily issue. This is done individually and is recorded.

- Interactive Oral Activity

This is where you can do all the fun stuff like interviews, role plays, debates and stuff along those lines. There's no official time limit although usually teachers set it as 10 minutes per person. This activity must be done in groups or pairs. If you're doing it individually, the teacher must accompany you.

I think that (powerpoint) presentations shouldn't be allowed for the second type of oral, although my teacher did once say that we can do a ppt presentation followed by a discussion. But my teacher is new to teaching language B and he's just a bad teacher so I can't count on him, but if your teacher said the same thing maybe it is true. Maybe.

Edited by Desy Glau

Which one exactly are you talking about? We don't call it IOP in language B. The two orals are called:

- Individual Oral

This is where you need to choose a support material like an article or something. You need to talk about that article for 3-4 minutes, then your teacher will ask you questions about that article for 3-4 minutes, followed by a general discussion for 3-4 minutes. for example about your future plan, your extra curricular activities, or about any daily issue. This is done individually and is recorded.

- Interactive Oral Activity

This is where you can do all the fun stuff like interviews, role plays, debates and stuff along those lines. There's no official time limit although usually teachers set it as 10 minutes per person. This activity must be done in groups or pairs. If you're doing it individually, the teacher must accompany you.

I think that (powerpoint) presentations shouldn't be allowed for the second type of oral, although my teacher did once say that we can do a ppt presentation followed by a discussion. But my teacher is new to teaching language B and he's just a bad teacher so I can't count on him, but if your teacher said the same thing maybe it is true. Maybe.

It's the second type, but my teacher never told us about all the more 'creative' options, she simply said we have to do a presentation (with powerpoint I believe, because she said we would have to do it in a classroom with a beamer) about a controversial issue related to Spain or Latin America followed by a discussion with the class (we're 3 students in total). She's not the best teacher in my opinion, but she's been teaching language B for at least 2 years (not sure how long exactly) so I think she should know what's possible and what's not...

I guess all I can do is just follow what she says I should do, it's too late to change it now because the presentations are on Wednesday and Thursday in the week right after my holidays.