How can i start a Written Task based on Up from Slavery?

Guys, my teacher was not very specific what she want from me in order to write the written task and i'm very confused!

How can i start my written task? Any ideas?

And if someone can help me with the beginning because is my first time for doing a written task.

Also my teacher is inexperienced with ib program, she's her first year in ib and i can't catch up her footsteps some times.

Please i need your help!

What exactly do you mean by written task?

Anyway, if I were you I'd demand more details about how to write it if your teacher really did not specify enough.

Also, it'll probably be easier for anyone to give you ideas if you're a bit more specific on what the written task is about. Hehe :)

Anyway, if I were you I'd demand more details about how to write it if your teacher really did not specify enough.

Also, it'll probably be easier for anyone to give you ideas if you're a bit more specific on what the written task is about. Hehe :)

WAIT WHAT. Are you serious? You don't know what she means by "written task"? Oh god. Let me explain the general picture of WTs: The language A2 syllabus and the assessment components provide students with the opportunity to explore a wide range of types of texts. There's no reason you'd have to advice johnem if you're taking Spanish B but you should at least know this. The written tasks allow students to write in a range of styles and registers. In doing so studentsdemonstrate their understanding of those styles and registers as well as their understanding ofthe appropriate features of given types of texts. Students are also expected to make use of course material in a manner that is appropriate to the purposes and contexts of their chosen tasks, both in terms of content and style. I don't remember how much are the written tasks worth in terms of percentage but I'm pretty sure they exceed the 10% limit. It's practically language A2's internal assesment.

In the other hand jonhem, I infer you're doing the written task in a cultural option based on slavery. Since the language A2 course focuses on the study of a particular language and its associated culture(s), the topics studied for each of the cultural options should be related to the culture(s) of that language. It thereby follows that the written tasks, which are based on material studied during the course, will also focus on the culture(s) related to the target language.Language A2 examiners sometimes receive written tasks based on topics that bear no relationship to the culture(s) studied. For example, an English A2 student living in Ecuador writes a task based on media censorship in Ecuador. Instead, this student should focus on media censorship in an English-speaking country. That is not to say that comparisons cannot be made with the country in which the student is living. In this case, it would be acceptable for the student to make relevant references to media censorship in Ecuador as long as the main focus of the task was on media ensorship in an English-speaking country, for example, Australia. A written task on media censorship in Ecuador would only be appropriate in the context of a Spanish A2 course.

You should be advised that the link to the option studied must always be shown through the content of the written task, not through the type of text chosen. For example, if a student writes an editorial on the greenhouse effect, the link should be with the “global issues” option, not with the “media and culture” option simply because the text is an editorial. When designing a cultural option consideration should be given not only to the variety of topics that can be explored but also to the variety of texts and their intended audience. The study of a cultural option is, therefore, not only a study of topics, but also of types of texts and their formal and stylistic features. Environmental issues, for instance, could be studied through a newspaper article, a TV documentary, a poem, a letter to the editor of a newspaper and an advertisement. In your case, you should do something similar basing yourself in slavery in an english-speaking country through original content, as stated before. You can't do an essay, that's absolutely prohibited! Please remember you need to justify your WT with a rationale, there are many posts here in IBS which talk about that, they can shed you some light on what you need to do.

Now, speaking about the lack of assistance your teacher has gave you. Despite the fact WT must always be your own independent work, teachers are encouraged to provide support and supervision to students while they are undertaking the written tasks. Although teachers must not assign tasks to students, they should help them choose ones that are focused and appropriate. Students must define the purpose of their task and choose the type of text that best suits their objectives and audience. Having established the purpose and type of text, students should then consider an appropriate register and style and discuss their choices with the teacher. Students should also discuss their rationale with the teacher. The teacher may make general comments about the first draft of each task, but must neither mark nor write comments on the drafts themselves. After making general comments about the first draft, the teacher should not provide any further assistance. If she hasn't done anything speak with your IB coordinator. That's basically it, start doing a rationale with Point , Evidence, Explanation and then let your creative skills arise.

I hope it helped,

Procrastination

Bibliography: Teacher support material from the IB given to me by my English teacher.

Edited by Procrastination

WAIT WHAT. Are you serious? You don't know what she means by "written task"? Oh god. Let me explain the general picture of WTs: The language A2 syllabus and the assessment components provide students with the opportunity to explore a wide range of types of texts. There's no reason you'd have to advice johnem if you're taking Spanish B but you should at least know this. The written tasks allow students to write in a range of styles and registers. In doing so studentsdemonstrate their understanding of those styles and registers as well as their understanding ofthe appropriate features of given types of texts. Students are also expected to make use of course material in a manner that is appropriate to the purposes and contexts of their chosen tasks, both in terms of content and style. I don't remember how much are the written tasks worth in terms of percentage but I'm pretty sure they exceed the 10% limit. It's practically language A2's internal assesment.

Yes. I am serious :) Also, I assumed it had to do with languages A1 since this is in the languages A1 subforum. If it has to do with languages A2, I know nothing about it of course.