Possible EE topics... writing in French?

llavergne2013

Hi guys,

I'm Lou.. and I am currently in grade 11.. I am so scared !

I don't know what to choose for my extended essay, and I would really like to it in French (B HL), but my vocab. isn't the best..! also my french teacher is an unbelievable influence and she has this power to get you the best grade like ever! So HELP!! PLEASE!!!!! Oh and by the way, if you say just do it in french, as i said before my vocabulary, register and diction are not very goood!!!!!

Thanks,

Lou and Quinn

Hi guys,

I'm Lou.. and I am currently in grade 11.. I am so scared !

I don't know what to chose for my extended essay, and I would really like to it in French (B HL), but my vocab. isn't the best..! also my french teacher is an unbelievable influence and she has this power to get you the best grade like ever! So HELP!! PLEASE!!!!! Oh and by the way, if you say just do it in french, as i said before my vocabulary, register and diction are not very goood!!!!!

Thanks,

Lou and Quinn

Have you read any interesting French books / seen any French movies recently?

hey, mmm yeah i read le monde de Sophie.. you speak any french?? It was quite complex... mmm ya, my parents are both french so i always watch french movies.. Any recommendations?

Yup I do French too! But that's a big advantage to have them to help...

There's 3 types of Language B EE's: language (which would be boring for me), culture and society (like an analysis of some cultural phenomenon that affects French) and literature (an analysis of one or more french works). Personally, I'd do a book/movie that you're interested in, or maybe a comparison of two. If type #2 is more interesting, maybe look at something like "Should feminine forms of more job titles be created in French to reflect shifting gender roles? " - www.colonelby.com/French.pdf

Good luck! Reply here or PM for any more advice or to talk about it! :D

Guest Animistic Anaemia

I actually wouldn't advise you to do it on French if you don't know it fluently... it's a bit too risky. However, you need to tell us what other subjects you take so that we can advise you :)

Guest Animistic Anaemia

I'd personally pick Bio because I love it (and actually am doing my EE on Bio) but umm, it's difficult if your school doesn't support you as you'll have to either buy all the material or find a laboratory to do the experiment. The experiment itself may take a bit or very few days (mine takes 3 days) and so, it depends a lot on your RQ.

But I must say, if you take Bio HL, you're either crazy or you love it.

However, I think that an EE on any language A is always easy. It's just needed a good RQ and then, some literature. That's all it takes for a good EE in it although it might be boring as hell!

Another alternative would definitely be music. From what I've seen, there's lots of people doing their EE on music. I myself have no idea about it but it does seem interesting and not very complex (I guess?).

It's up to your likes and dislikes :)

Edited by Animistic Anaemia

Hey there :) well doing it in french is a bit risky especially if you don't know it that well but if you're comfortable in doing it and if your teacher helps you in it (which i'm sure she will if she's your supervisor) then do it. She can correct your grammar and all.

But you can also do it in english which i did mine in. It's a very easy subject to do it on. Just find books that you loved and do an EE in it. Or in music. Music should be interesting to write an EE on, don't you think? lol. Biology is also good but then you have to go through this whole experimental process (it may not be a must though) but my friends are struggling with it. Psychology is another interesting area to do an EE on. A lot to talk about.

I'd advise you to do an EE in a subject you love because you have to be interested in the topic that you're doing in order to write 4000 words on it. So if it's french then do it even though you're not so good at it like you said, but you're supervisor can help there right? It's all about taking the risk, one of the IB student profile thingy ma bob :P Anyway, choose a subject you absolutely love. Best of luck :)

Edited by kim luffy
  • Like 1

Kim Luffy said it perfectly (: Do what you would enjoy doing and that isn't necessarily the easiest option to begin with.

Personally, perhaps because I have never done it but really wish I could have, I would do something in Psychology such as health/fitness. You could then include first hand research of the public that you carried out - would gain marks for an original method. Or, if sticking to the French theme...a certain book/movie, looking into the stereotypes of the French or even something like analysing the French existetialist writers such as Ionesco along history etc.... could be good ideas. Not sure if this was of any use at all but I wish you good luck! x

• Like 1

Oh Damien R. you gave you me a good idea lol. Well i don't know if it's good or not but anywho. So yeah you could talk about a french book like the stranger? I did it as one of the books we had to read in order for us to do our WL on. Anyway, that should be an interesting book to do it on. You could talk about a lot like the meaninglessness of life, existentialism, family bonds etc. I don't know but you could give it a thought or you could ask your french teacher if it's a good idea :)

Edited by kim luffy

^^ Kim, what a good idea! If you would be willing to do something like that, there is a lot to write about. Hmm..perhaps discussing the way the characters convey the theme of will and responsibility, for example..or could even do two pieces and include "rhinocero"s which is quite similar in this sense. I noticed in the class, when reading them, that the characters in both really do provide this sense of realism in the novels which should be absent due to them being "absurdist" pieces (andalso with them having such exaggerated characteristics); but we still..somehow..pull out traits which match our own to a certain degree. I just realised I went on a little bit then but good luck and hope this was of some help! (:

Lou you should read the book L'etranger, I just read it for English and it is actually one of the best books I have ever read. I read the translated english version (the outsider), but it was originally written in french. The book itself isn't that good, the story and the way it was written is really odd and kind of boring. But the 'deeper' ideas that it represents are so interesting.

It was written by Albert Camus... he was a philosopher who believed in existentialism/absurd-ism, do some research on these, it's very fascinating. I could give you some of my notes if you want?

And since your doing phsycology it would be a huggggge advantage! Look into it dude, it's actually so interesting and you could pick out some really creative EE topics from it.

Thank you all very much, this has really helped clarify my options, now the only thing is that I need to decide the right one for me. Thank you though, I think I might choose the french EE topic, just because I have various people who would and could check my work constantly and because the supervisor is awesome! and I like french, but I was also thinking about psychology until I asked about it and my supervisor (for psych as it is an online corse) told me that it would not be possible as I do not have a psychology teacher here in Bali and that this would make the task even harder than it is, which is a real shame! I love psychology, and Kim and Animistic Anaemia have you guys done your EE? If you have did you do it in Biology? Thing is, I love the subject, biology, itself but the teacher here is really not the type of supervisor I need or want ! (to say the least!) We do not get along very well .. so yeah, very sad but yeah.. But still, thank you all very much for the advice and clarifying the different options.! Thank you ! Hope you guys are doing good! and my baby Morgie, thank you :) I know, we all read the outsiders dudie! :) I love you! And if anyone ever needs help you know where to find me! xx

Your welcome! :) I did mine in english. I wanted to do it in biology but as you said, i didn't want a supervisor like him. Writing an EE on psychology is kind of difficult because there are so many things to implement into it and stuff. My friends are having a hard time doing it but i mean if you're really interested to do it in psychology, go for it. Like i said before, do it in a subject you love and since you really want to do it in french, go for it! It'll be your best bet. To do an EE n biology, you have to do an experiment and that's a long process though i'm not really sure if you always have to do an experiment. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway, good luck with it all! :) if you need anymore help with the book, you can just drop me a pm :D