Subject choices for Intn'l Studies & Business?

spereira14

Basically about a week ago I was pretty sure that I was gonna double major in Finance and Computer Science, and thus, I had based my IB subjects on that. However, I recently read about this program allowing you to double major in International Studies and any branch of Business you choose, it completely sounds more like me, as I'm not a huge science fan, so I wanted your opinion in my subject choices that would allow me to do such a program...

HL: Spanish A1, English A1, Economics

SL: Chemistry, Maths, Business

I would also take french lessons as I already took my GCSEs on that...

Should I be taking Geography, History or something like that? Because those subjects are something you can learn at any stage, so I didn't consider them....

Edited by spereira14

First thing to do, is check if the university has any specific subject requirements. Did you do it? If not, it's your first step. Then, you can start considering different options and asking other people's opinion. :) Where do you want to study, anyway? I guess that might help to tell us, as different countries have different admission rules. :)

Well it's an American Program from an Ivy League University…The website states that "applicants are expected to be academically accomplished and have achieved intermediate-level proficiency in their target language. The ideal Huntsman student is well-rounded and demonstrates leadership potential and a global perspective." Moreover, it doesn't specifically says that you need certain things, but it recommends certain things:

AP Calculus AB or the equivalent (What would that be?)

SAT II Subject Test: Math Level 2

SAT II Subject Test in the intended target language (in my case French)

I actually think your subject choices are already great! though you may want to consider taking Maths HL. it's not a must but well it might help, if you have the capabilities. since you wanted to apply for CS, I assume you do :P

Desy, you always tell everyone to take Maths HL. :D You're obsessed. :P

Though if you want to go into business, and you're good at Maths at the same time, then why not. :D As far as I know, unis in US do not have any really specific entry requirements, so as long as you fulfill the requirements they do have, you should be fine. And about what AP Calculus is, I think you should ask someone from US because I'm rather clueless about APs at all (well, I know they exist :P ) but I think some Calculus is covered in Maths SL, but I'm not that good with names, to be honest. Well, at least my Maths SL book has two chapters with "Calculus" in the title. :D

Well it's an American Program from an Ivy League University…The website states that "applicants are expected to be academically accomplished and have achieved intermediate-level proficiency in their target language. The ideal Huntsman student is well-rounded and demonstrates leadership potential and a global perspective." Moreover, it doesn't specifically says that you need certain things, but it recommends certain things:

AP Calculus AB or the equivalent (What would that be?)

SAT II Subject Test: Math Level 2

SAT II Subject Test in the intended target language (in my case French)

UPenn huh? I have people from my school applying there. Look, from what I gather from them, their interviewers themselves recognized the fact that they're doing IB thus they already HAVE an 'Global' perspective. I suggest you stick with BM. And there is no need to take Math HL. SL will be fine. And if you do well, Upenn will even give you credits.

Quote from their website:

"The Huntsman Program in International Studies & Business is a unique, four-year interdisciplinary undergraduate course of study that integrates business education, advanced language training and a liberal arts education. Huntsman students earn two degrees -- a B.A. in International Studies from the School of Arts and Sciences and a B.S. in Economics from the Wharton School. Huntsman students specialize in the area of the world in which their target language is spoken and graduate with a nuanced understanding of the political, economic and cultural complexities in a changing world."

Maths HL isn't very well taught at my school, they over complicate it and stuff and I'd have to go to a tutor and stuff which is pretty expensive sometimes, plus it's time consuming...so I'd much rather take Standard and maybe do another HL, do you guys think Chemistry will be useful? Because I could always anticipate Biology and have more time to study, but I guess that's up to me to decide :P

I guess I'll ask an American in the other forums about APs, thanks anyway!

Should I do Literature or Literature and Language? I'm pretty good at Literature but I know a 7 is really hard to get and the books from Lit&Lang are much better