Surface area and Heat loss Design lab

mobelle

Hello! We are currently doing a design lab and it should be about surface area and heat loss. I wanted to use beakers and have 5 different amounts of water in each one and then heat them up and then see the heat loss and which would be the fastest. But my teacher told me it is too simple, could anyone give me any tips to how I could develop my idea?

Thanks! / Moa

I think you need to vary your surface area by using marbles, strips and powder.

Hmm, not sure I understand to be honest. I just asked her if I could do the same thing except the dirrent volumes on different fluids instead (like coca-cola, milk, coffee and so on and so forth) but she said it wasnt connected to biology and I guess thats right, not really sure how to make it more biological though. :/

I'm going to guess this lab is to show how the rates of diffusion are based off the surface area of a cell. The whole SA vs volume idea that goes behind why cells undergo mitosis.

If this is the case I would suggest trying to make some sort of agar solution that hardens into little gelatin cubes and then you could measure the rate of change of the temperature when put into a colder environment or warmer environment.