Changing Physics SL to Physics Hl

IB Smacher Glau

I would suggest that you consider the extra amount of work you'll have to do if you opt to take physics at the higher level in the middle of the IB. Then decide whether you are prepared to do this amount of work to pursue your passion (whatever it may be). If yes, then go for it and good luck. If no, then don't worry, there are always multiple ways to get to one goal and your passion might not even be what you initially had thought.

Actually, what you MUST do, and quick, if you're really serious about changing from HL to SL (do you really need HL Physics for sure?) is go to your IBC and your teacher and ask if they will let you change after more than 1 year. This is more than 1 year of additional material to catch up on, are you really sure you want to do it? There is a girl in my school who changed subjects after IB1 (and levels). Needless to say, she doesn't have an easy life now. :(

Edited by Gaby

are your exams really in May 2012? I thought they're in 2013 since your message a few days ago suggested that you're new to IB :S

if you're still in the first year and you're sure you can manage Physics HL, go ahead and change. but if you're already in the second year, you should think twice (consider the number of lab hours you've got to catch up with) since I believe your school has covered a number of HL topics. it's not easy at all for me, and I'm sure many other people would agree. but if you're sure you can ace it, well the choice is yours.

are your exams really in May 2012? I thought they're in 2013 since your message a few days ago suggested that you're new to IB :S

if you're still in the first year and you're sure you can manage Physics HL, go ahead and change. but if you're already in the second year, you should think twice (consider the number of lab hours you've got to catch up with) since I believe your school has covered a number of HL topics. it's not easy at all for me, and I'm sure many other people would agree. but if you're sure you can ace it, well the choice is yours.

hello again , yes Desy I am going to write the May 2012 exams :P , you will be surprised to hear that in our school there is only one Physics HL student !

He did the same number of labs we did, and about the HL topics, the teacher did with him about 3 topic only! ( i think )

What exactly is the hard thing about physics HL? Desy, you said you will get a 7 in it!

yes there is a big gap. physics HL is difficult. no I didn't say I would get a 7? my teacher did predict me a 7 but I'm afraid I couldn't get that in the real exams. I find it difficult to understand the concepts, and I'm just lucky to know how to calculate stuff. with definitions and concepts, I'm dying.

your school needs to get him do more labs, HL needs more lab hours than SL. I'm not surprised because physics is indeed difficult so not many people take it. even I regret taking physics HL. only 3 people are doing it here.

At my school quite a few people take Physics SL but only super duper clever types choose Physics HL and even some of them do struggle with it. I don't know what it is about physics that it's so hard to grasp. But if you're some kind of a genius who only chose SL to have it easy, then maybe you can catch up. But isn't 3 topics during the whole year just a bit too little? Won't this student have problems later on?

"but only super duper clever types choose Physics HL."

:blink: lol....I don't know what that makes me then.

Super duper clever? :D Well, it's about my school. Maybe I just have no idea whatsoever about Physics (which I don't) but the only people who have no problems with Physics at HL at my school are this geeky Maths geniuses. :D

Super duper clever? :D Well, it's about my school. Maybe I just have no idea whatsoever about Physics (which I don't) but the only people who have no problems with Physics at HL at my school are this geeky Maths geniuses. :D

be careful not to generalise though! being good at Maths =/= being good at Physics.

be careful not to generalise though! being good at Maths =/= being good at Physics.

I'm not generalising. :D That's what the "at my school" is for. It's a rule I observed at my school while not being a part of Physics class. If anyone tried to base anything on my school, that would be strongly biased, since you'd have to also say that mostly ex-MYP kids take Physics which would be an utter madness to make into a general rule.