Combustion question

thebest

Heating a substance isn't really a reaction. I'm pretty sure heating it won't change any of the chemical properties. Combustion reactions include adding oxygen to the other reactant, which is not the same thing as heating it. In a combustion reaction, I think I've only most often seen the combustion of hydrocarbons, and their product is always CO2 and H2O, so that's where I think you might be getting that notion from. In combustion, the end product (pardon my language) is different from the reactants, whereas you basically have the same thing when you heat something, although it may have changed its state.

I think combustion usually occurs for hydrocarbons, but it could also occur for hydrogen gas, (H2) to make water. I'm not sure about other examples though.

• Like 1

In addition, a combustion reaction can be either complete or incomplete. I'll use hydrocarbons here, because it's a good example. If the reaction is complete, then the products are CO2 and H2O. If the reaction is incomplete, then there's not enough oxygen available to react fully with the hydrocarbon, and you'll have some CO and soot formed in addition to the CO2 and H2O.

• Like 1

Thanks alot guys. :)

i have another question. If there is a combustion reaction with reactants CxHyOz (x y z are unknown subscript numbers) + O2, and a question asks calculate the MASS OF OXYGEN CONSUMED using conservation of mass principle (i have the masses of all the other things), do i find the mass of just oxygen gas, O2, or the mass of oxygen in the ENTIRE reactants which is including the oxygen in CxHyOz? Srry, just kinda confused on the wording. :/