HL Internal assesment number 1

dandoon96

so that's DCP+CE. design is where you have to design a lab (pretty self explanatory, no?).

so for DCP+CE, well in order to get a 7 you have to get your uncertainties correct and be evaluative, give lots of suggestions on how to improve the experiment. I usually have more things to say if I can see the paper, but generally those are the more important things that are harder to score in.

wait so you have to design your own experiment or not? if so I'll give the relevant advices.

of course can, I mean at IB level, there aren't so many things we could experiment on in science. there's a limited number of experiment appropriate to our knowledge in science.

I'm not taking biology so I don't have any answer to that :P but I did so I know a little bit. well just design a simple experiment, really.

ok you need to get your variables right. one independent, one dependent, and as many controlled ones as possible. since your teacher gave you some kind of guidebook, the info on these variables must be inside.

then, your apparatus must be realistic. for example, you can't experiment using a gas furnace at this level.

your procedures need to be detailed, step by step, chronological.

when choosing your independent variable, there needs to be at least 5 different data and 3 trials each.

an example of a feasible experiment:

independent variable: concentration of sugar solution (0 M as a control, 0.5 M, 1 M, 1.5 M, 2 M)

dependent variable: change in mass of potato

controlled variable: volume of sugar solution, dimensions of potato, time for which the potato is dipped into the solution, initial mass, temperature, pressure, etc etc

procedure (in short): cut a potato into small dice, put them in a sugar solution and measure the change in the mass of the potato after 30 min

you know, something like that.

all this as in the design tips or the osmosis? :P

well we did a lab every week in chemistry last year so i guess i'm well trained... our teacher also gives us a bunch of tips from various sources, and some exemplars. so yeah i know the IAs quite well...

the biological part, I took bio since middle school until grade 10.

M is molar (mol/dm3)