Help in a capillary tube lab

littlemouse

hey, I am doing an investigation on the effect of capillary tube forces on different length of capillary tubes. The dependent variable is the height of the liquid (water) in each tube.

What do i need to know for this investigation and has there to be any calculations.

I am so lost:( please help !

Edited by King Glau
No need for capital letters, thanks :)

hey, I am doing an investigation on the effect of capillary tube forces on different length of capillary tubes. The dependent variable is the height of the liquid (water) in each tube.

What do i need to know for this investigation and has there to be any calculations.

I AM SOOO LOST:( PLEASE HELP !

Strictly speaking this isn't chemistry as it has more to do with physics. The capillary rise or fall of a liquid is given by the equation:

h = [4*sigma*cos(theta)] / [rho*g*d]

h = height of liquid in the tube

sigma = surface tension

theta = angle of contact between liquid and glass tube (this is = to 0 for water)

rho = density of the liquid

g = gravitational constant

d = diameter of the tube

***Note that the length of the tube should not affect the height of the liquid as the atmospheric pressure is the same no matter how long you make the tube. Maybe you need to go back and check the independent variable, could it be the diameter of the tube?

Edited by Keel