Bio HL vs Physics HL?

KaranKanwar

Hi,

I'm in Year 11 right now, and going to be choosing IB subjects in a week or two, and I've so far comprised a list of HLs and SLs, but I'm not so sure about which lab science I should take.

HL: Computer Science, Business & Management, English Lit Lang, Phys/Bio

SL: Math, Mandarin B

University I 'aspire' to be in, is MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), (I don't believe that I need a HL in math, I've got quite a history with computers so far (8 year old programmer), and a lot of passion, certificates, and projects to back it up. :) But yes, I do realize it is quite a far off aspiration without HL math.)

Bio

It so far seems that I'd probably do better in Bio as I've achieved mostly 95%< scores in Bio since Y7-Y11 / GCSE Mocks, but it really bores me, I have virtually no interest in Biology, and it is usually labelled as one of the 'easier sciences' as it's mostly mugging up terminology.

Physics

I have quite a passion about learning more about astrophysics, electronics, and robotics, but math isn't my strongest suit, and I've received lower grades for Physics (60%-90%, 75%ish average for the last 4 years), but it really does seem more interesting, and is one of the more 'challenging sciences'. It also has more relevance to what I plan on doing in the future, relating to computer science as it ties in with electrical engineering.

I want to take Physics, but I might get a 5 or a 6 as opposed to a desired 7.

I really don't want to take Bio, but I'd probably get a 6 or a 7.

Chem I downright suck at, don't like, find boring and don't want to take that, at all.

Has anyone taken Physics or Bio (or both) and have any contribution to make to help a little guy trying to decide? :D

tl;dr

Probably Definite High Grade/No Interest/Boring - Bio

Possible High Grade/Interest/Passion - Physics

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Karan

Well let me start telling you that you're just generalizing. How come you say you will probably get a 7 in HL Bio when you haven't even experienced it? I'm pretty sure that no experimental science in Higher Level is easy, yes, you have to learn a lot of terminology in Biology, but that doesn't mean is "easy", i'd like to call it more simple and less demanding. That's it.

Now, for my advice, I don't know if you're aware of the following but MIT is not looking for people who take the easy road, they're looking for people with challenging subjects and people who push theirselves. Taking into account this, you should select Physics HL and why not, Math HL if it is available in your school. Maybe when you're in all the university process they might ask you why didnt you took Math HL and you'd be like "eeehh... ehh, well, I don't know". MIT is a university that's mostly known by its mathetical characteristics, if you are saying you are not pretty good at them, I think you're aiming too far and you're setting up yourself a big desilusion. However, if you want to try, go for it!! Getting a 7 in HL Physics is almost impossible, and I say almost because there's people out there who in fact achieve this score, I know, scary. I'm taking physics right now, and I'm hating it because of my teacher, but I'm happy I took it because I cant imagine myself in chemistry or biology, plus, like you, I feel passionate for astrophysics and robotics. Let me tell you my friend, its not easy, and HL Physics is the most difficult subject in IB, after Maths HL, certainly it isn't made up for everybody. If you feel like you can do it, take it, follow your dreams, there's nothing wrong about it, but don't forget that if you have been getting 60%-90%, 75%ish average for the last 4 years, the most probable thing is that you won't be able to score a 7.

:guitar:

Edited by Procrastination
  • Like 1

Thank you for your responses :)

@procrastination:

Sorry for the lack of clarity earlier, I forgot to mention our science curriculum and coursework is currently IB score based, but exams, GCSE based :/ which is a little strange. :S which is why I can kinda predict what i'd get, assuming the MYP and DP programmes are similar.

And from my current and past experience, I've found Bio to be less demanding than other sciences, not that I'm suggesting it's 'easier'! :)

You do make a valid point, but at our school we're allowed a minimum of 3 HLs and a maximum of 4, I want to take what I enjoy more and will get some personal gain out of, as opposed to what's 'usual' by universities, I'm pretty confident in saying that not all MIT alumni from IB backgrounds are Math HL's which is why I've decided to take Math SL, partially cause I'm quite bad at it as well, haha. I can handle all the computer science side of math that requires Calc/Linears/Algorithms/Logs, which is why I'm (hopefully) not very concerned about Math HL/SL. :D 'My Choice over Expectation' which will probably be my answer to that possible awkward question, haha. I'm passionate about Astrophysics, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, and most of all Computer Science -- also some of MIT's strong suits :D

I do like challenges, and I really don't want to take Bio! Thanks for your response, procrastination. :)

Thank you for your responses :)

@procrastination:

Sorry for the lack of clarity earlier, I forgot to mention our science curriculum and coursework is currently IB score based, but exams, GCSE based :/ which is a little strange. :S which is why I can kinda predict what i'd get, assuming the MYP and DP programmes are similar.

And from my current and past experience, I've found Bio to be less demanding than other sciences, not that I'm suggesting it's 'easier'! :)

You do make a valid point, but at our school we're allowed a minimum of 3 HLs and a maximum of 4, I want to take what I enjoy more and will get some personal gain out of, as opposed to what's 'usual' by universities, I'm pretty confident in saying that not all MIT alumni from IB backgrounds are Math HL's which is why I've decided to take Math SL, partially cause I'm quite bad at it as well, haha. I can handle all the computer science side of math that requires Calc/Linears/Algorithms/Logs, which is why I'm (hopefully) not very concerned about Math HL/SL. :D 'My Choice over Expectation' which will probably be my answer to that possible awkward question, haha. I'm passionate about Astrophysics, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, and most of all Computer Science -- also some of MIT's strong suits :D

I do like challenges, and I really don't want to take Bio! Thanks for your response, procrastination. :)

Same here, and this is why I transferred to Maths HL. Your chances of getting into one of those fields with SL are significantly smaller than with HL.

Take physics. I do both sciences at HL and I'm in the same situation as you. I'm better at Biology, however I have no interest in it and it's SO boring to me. I love physics, however I've struggled in it for the past two years. HL physics is really difficult, and much more demanding than Biology. Don't be afraid of the mathematical requirements. A person doing maths studies can complete the physics HL course :) (although, I don't recommend it :P). But really, I'm not amazing at maths, however I managed to complete the physics course.

Whichever you do, I hope you enjoy it :) And make sure your IA marks are as high as they can possibly be. I've got 7's for IA marks in both sciences, and this really saves you in exams. Good luck!