English EE- can I do children's novels?

pear.babe

Hi! I've started thinking about my EE- I know I want to do english, but I also know that I want to be a bit different and focus on children's novels.

For example, the Tale of Despereuax: I really want to do this novel- but I can't find any secondary sources (like real essays already written on it).

Do you think I could do an EE on a children's book as long as I still make full use of finding and analysing literary features?

And does anyone have ideas on any good novels I could do?

THANKS!!!!!

Edited by pear.babe

Theoretically it is possible to use any novel, but children's literature can be tricky. You might get an examiner who feels your novel isn't "advanced" enough; I'm not really sure how to word it, but like it's not "deep" or "scholarly" enough to count as EE material. I think it could be possible, but it may be hard. Children's novels may not have enough literary content to get a good EE. If you did use The Tale of Despereaux, what kind of topic did you have in mind for it? An in regards to your other question, there's a sticky around here that I think Daedalus wrote that is very helpful for an English EE, and if I'm not mistaken it has a small section on how to choose a novel, just in case your children's literature idea doesn't work out.

• 12 years later...