What should I study to work in the Games Industry?

Doreo

Hi!

I came to the conclusions a month ago that I want to work in the Games Industry but I'm not sure what...

I know I would love to be an animator but I never took art, although I do love drawing I never had the proper training.

I thought about Level Designing/Building or something close.

Do you know of any good, not too expensive universities in the UK, US or Australia that teach Game courses?

Also, do you think I still have a chance to become an animator even without any training in art? Do you know if there are any foundation courses etc. in art that I can take so I will be able to study it? It would really be something I want to do!

Thanks in advance!

Cheerio ;)

have you done any programming at all? I think there is a university in the UK offering Computer Science, focusing on games or something along those lines. I can't remember which uni, but if you're interested please reply to me and I'll put in the effort to search what it was.

but if you're only interested in the artsy side, I think the course would be something like animation yeah? or try graphic designing? I think programming would be more fun though, because if you learn CS you'll be able to not only draw the images but also code the game! but if you only learn animation it would be difficult to create the game. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think coding it would be easier.

(note: I have experience in both programming and animation, though I'm not a pro)

I never done programming and I'm now 'playing' with Blender to check out modelling and animation :)

And Level Design is something I'd try when Skyrim would come out and I'll be able to play around with the construction set :)

I think that if there will be time between animation and level design I'd be studying Blitz and maybe some more.

Before January 15th though I must know what I wanna do so hopefully I'd have enough time :)

But I need Universities to check out, I obviously cannot study it or work at it in the future without any higher education haha.

Aumm none of these courses were anything I looked for :/

But thanks anyway!

Does anyone know Stafford University? I found a course that really looked perfect for me!

I searched for reviews and found mostly good ones (although they did comment that the university had a major sausagefest issue :P) but only 1 was for This course which looked really perfect because it included both level design and animation.

So I wondered, does anyone know anything about the course? How good it is?

Edited by Doreo