IB Physics SL with no Prior Physics Experience

Supertramp

My junior year, I decided I wanted to take IB Chem SL, but there was a scheduling conflict: they only offered it the period I have IB Visual Arts HL and my art teacher was absolutely NOT willing to work with me on this. So I've ended up having to take IB Physics SL to fulfill diploma requirements. I've never taken any prior physics class.

Some background knowledge:

I've only taken math up to Algebra 2, then I took IB Math Studies my junior year. I've taken Chemistry honors and have gotten an A in that class.

Classes started a few days ago, and when I told my IB Physics teacher my situation, his mouth literally dropped. He was really incredulous and that kind of made me nervous. So I'm wondering: is this is a bad idea? How hard is IB physics? I'm a really determined person, but I'm kind of uncertain right now...

Let me just let you in on a little secret. I'm pretty sure, that apart from HL Maths, Physics (at HL) is the hardest IB subject.

SL Physics however, is a whole lot easier. I do HL, so we learn 95% of the SL concepts too. SL physics is VERY doable. I, like you, began taking HL physics after never having done physics before. I felt a bit crazy too, but I haven't entirely failed it yet, so it's very, very doable. You seem to have a better work ethic than I do, even now, so I personally think you will be absolutely fine.

Just some tips; learn the definitions - they are easy marks on the exam. Learn what all the formulas do and what they are for - I know this sounds obvious, but it really does make it SO much easier to answer questions. And finally, stay on top of the coursework and revise when you can. Once you finish a topic, try questions on it. If you can't do them, ask. The more questions you do, the more you will understand the work and be prepared for the final exam. If you are as determined as you say you are, I have complete confidence that you will be able to take SL physics with minimal complications :)

• Like 1

she made good points there ^ :)

I studied physics in middle school but did not take it in IGCSE, and after IGCSE I could say I had forgotten most of the physics formulae and concepts. but I still wanted to take physics HL because I wanted to be an engineer. I kind of restarted learning it. I literally forgot every concept. but now I'm getting a good prediction in physics :)

I think if you are a good student, you should be able to adapt yourself to a new subject.

however, am not trying to scare you or anything but this is the truth: most physics SL students in my batch who took physics in IGCSE aren't doing very well actually. only a few are getting 7s. most of them get 5s. or 6s.

good luck with physics!

The thing with physics is, you can't memorize your way through it. You really have to have a genuine understanding of the subject. You also talk as if you have only one year to do Physics SL? I'm not sure if the two previous posters considered that.

My advice would be, make your decision right away. If there is an option not to do physics, don't. If there isn't, don't be scared and start working immediately.

Talk to your teacher, see how you cope with classes. Is it not possible to ask people who have already done physics to tutor you? Or ask your teacher if they can set aside some time to help you out each week. Google it! believe it or not, there is some great material out there for all IB subjects, physics too. The physics teacher at my school isn't very good and I know the majority of the class self studies. Some are coping, others aren't, although I know they're trying hard to. Physics is just that sort of subject.

You can do anything with determination. Don't be scared. Just focus a bit more on physics for a while, and you'll be fine. And don't forget to hit those pastpaper questions regularly! Best way to test understanding!

I don't think you can do it with Maths Studies... Sorry, but I think you tell your parents and they contact school and let you take chemistry, because thats not fair as chem and Visual art are in separate groups... So the schedules must offer you to do both.

I take physics HL and this year we studied only the SL bits and some HL,but all we studied is like from the beginning. Well not the beginning. You need to have at least IGCSE background or anything like it for formulae, and there alot of deriving in Physics, Maths studies won't help very much...

So I insist that your family to talk to the school and tell them thats unfair. Tell them do you want me to fail my diploma :read: .... If you take chem SL you will be relieved so much and will easily get 6 or 7

I don't think you can do it with Maths Studies... Sorry, but I think you tell your parents and they contact school and let you take chemistry, because thats not fair as chem and Visual art are in separate groups... So the schedules must offer you to do both.

I take physics HL and this year we studied only the SL bits and some HL,but all we studied is like from the beginning. Well not the beginning. You need to have at least IGCSE background or anything like it for formulae, and there alot of deriving in Physics, Maths studies won't help very much...

So I insist that your family to talk to the school and tell them thats unfair. Tell them do you want me to fail my diploma :read: .... If you take chem SL you will be relieved so much and will easily get 6 or 7

The IB physics course is actually a non-calculus course, meaning that theoretically, a maths studies person should be able to take it, and still do well in it. In my HL physics class, there is one girl who is doing maths studies, and she is passing. It's still doable. I'm not trying to SELL physics to you, because I hated it myself, but, to answer the OP's original question, physics is doable with no prior physics experience.

because thats not fair as chem and Visual art are in separate groups... So the schedules must offer you to do both.

So I insist that your family to talk to the school and tell them thats unfair.

actually it's okay... the school has the right to make their own schedule and to put what subject in what group/block. in my batch, we're only allowed Physics and Bio in group 4, but Chemistry is in group 6. so I can take both Phy and Chem, but can't take both Phy and Bio. also we're only offered Econ and Geo in group 3, but Business is in group 6. you cannot say that it's unfair. it's their policy. the school still has the right to decide what subject to offer and in which block. I'm sure they have considered the number of students interested in those subjects and the availability of teachers, so you can't really blame the school.

The IB physics course is actually a non-calculus course, meaning that theoretically, a maths studies person should be able to take it, and still do well in it. In my HL physics class, there is one girl who is doing maths studies, and she is passing. It's still doable. I'm not trying to SELL physics to you, because I hated it myself, but, to answer the OP's original question, physics is doable with no prior physics experience.

There is some calculus in the Standard level in the mechanics section especially and maybe in the waves section and options... but not that hard, its like the basics of calculus. Maybe your school have better physics teachers. But in my school they rely on the smart kids who understands the subject. My friend and I are the only who got a solid 7 without cheating :angel: ... And they always beg us to help and thats what I think its hard without past experience

because thats not fair as chem and Visual art are in separate groups... So the schedules must offer you to do both.

So I insist that your family to talk to the school and tell them thats unfair.

actually it's okay... the school has the right to make their own schedule and to put what subject in what group/block. in my batch, we're only allowed Physics and Bio in group 4, but Chemistry is in group 6. so I can take both Phy and Chem, but can't take both Phy and Bio. also we're only offered Econ and Geo in group 3, but Business is in group 6. you cannot say that it's unfair. it's their policy. the school still has the right to decide what subject to offer and in which block. I'm sure they have considered the number of students interested in those subjects and the availability of teachers, so you can't really blame the school.

But, they can't make a student choose a subject that he doesn't want it from the first place and don't let him the subject that he is able to do extremely well on it. Ain't the school supposed to encourage students to get good grades. In my school there is more than one chem class, except from some subjects which have low demand for it like Economics in our school. But chemistry must have a high demand... So can't they change his schedule and make him choose chem and Visual Arts at different time...

Back to the question, is it doable, I guess yeah, but you will need to put in a lot of effort. You need to practice it...since you got Maths studies and Visual art, You will have more than enough time to study... But studying is up to you.

There is some calculus in the Standard level in the mechanics section especially and maybe in the waves section and options... but not that hard, its like the basics of calculus. Maybe your school have better physics teachers. But in my school they rely on the smart kids who understands the subject. My friend and I are the only who got a solid 7 without cheating :angel: ... And they always beg us to help and thats what I think its hard without past experience

The calculus behind V/T graphs and S/T graphs and what not, is not actually a requirement of the physics course. You must know the gradients and area's under each graph, but the calculus method of explanation (derivatives and integrals) is merely that; a method of explanation. I realise that if SL maths is taken, physics topics become SO much easier and one can understand them a whole lot easier, but, I must reiterate that calculus is never required in the physics course.

• Like 1

But, they can't make a student choose a subject that he doesn't want it from the first place and don't let him the subject that he is able to do extremely well on it.

sorry, in this case your emotions can't play along. it's up to the school, really. just like I want to take Further Maths but I can't because my school doesn't offer it.

Ain't the school supposed to encourage students to get good grades.

not really... the school is just facilitating the students. the students are the ones who work for themselves.

In my school there is more than one chem class, except from some subjects which have low demand for it like Economics in our school. But chemistry must have a high demand...

you're so biased lol my class has 17 students and there are only 4 chemistry students...2 others are taking visual arts and the rest (the majority) are taking business. chemistry doesn't always have a high demand.

So can't they change his schedule and make him choose chem and Visual Arts at different time...

it's still up to the school.. I know you feel bad for OP, like I do too, but it doesn't mean you can burn the school if it doesn't do what you want just because you pay to the school.

@OP have you asked your school about this btw? whether they can offer you chemistry as a group 4 subject? if not please ask...who knows if they could. but if yes, I feel sorry and good luck with physics!

• 1 month later...