Visual Arts - Piece Count

Jaymi

Hey guys! okay im having a bit of trouble with my art piece count.. so far i have about 13 pieces o.O and im scraping 2.. and im going HL! I know it says we need between 12-18 pieces for option A. But calling all past and present HL artists! Do i really need 18 pieces? or can i have lets say 16?? I do have a bit of time, my exhibition is October 11 and i've planned 3 pieces for the holidays. (and i work on a very big scale, doing alot of 3Ds).

Im starting to panic now. o.O aaahhh!

help :help:

Even though I took SL, I'd like to comment. My art teacher always suggested going towards the higher limit because it can show a greater range of media and theme. But she also reminded us that having fewer but better quality works is often much better than having a lot of weak pieces. When you finish (after scraping 2 and adding your 3 new ones) you'll have at least 14 pieces, which isn't bad at all. It's right in the middle. And since you have large, 3-D works it will show just how much more effort you put into making something on that scale. You've still got a few months to do this, and I'm sure you'll finish. Good luck Jaymi :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I second emyski :)

Even in the VA guide, the requirements are 12-18 pictures of works, not works by themselves. Which means that if you make just huge intricate sculpture and you take 12-18 pictures of that, it'll still be accepted ( although it isn't recommended!). On the other hand, someone who is focusing on photography will have to show many more than just 12-18 pictures. But the sad bit is, we don't know the best number of works to have so we can have a balance between quantity and quality.

I have a similar doubt. For my final exhibition, I will be displaying only 6-7 works, but one of those works is a single painting which has over 20 canvases of different sizes ( from 12"X12" to 48" X 60") and the total painting is about 7 feet by 12/13 feet. I required it to be that large a work because I'm using impressionism at different levels, So at different distances you get different images... And I guess I'll take another month or two to complete it. But I don't know if having just 6-7 works will be a disadvantage.