November 2007, May 2008 Title 4

beli16

4. Does language play roles of equal importance in different areas of knowledge?

what about number 4?

i am going to analyse math+arts+history as they all use different forms of language..

but now im stuck with examples and all:(

do u mind if i pm u with what i have so far LC?

thxx :lol:

what about number 4?

i am going to analyse math+arts+history as they all use different forms of language..

but now im stuck with examples and all:(

do u mind if i pm u with what i have so far LC?

thxx :lol:

go for it :P

what's with the rolleyes smiley ? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El_Nano

I'm chosing my tok essay for next year....and i'm a little late ..ahaha

I will probably chose number 4 out of the new topics of Nov. 07-08... because it's one of the few that I understande..

i HAVE DIFFICULTIES trying to organize my essya though...and the research for valuable examples is "work in progress"...

could anybody help me.?...... Also becuase don't know which Areas of knowledge i could use in this essay.....

thank you...

I'm chosing my tok essay for next year....and i'm a little late ..ahaha

I will probably chose number 4 out of the new topics of Nov. 07-08... because it's one of the few that I understande..

i HAVE DIFFICULTIES trying to organize my essya though...and the research for valuable examples is "work in progress"...

could anybody help me.?...... Also becuase don't know which Areas of knowledge i could use in this essay.....

thank you...

check out the essay guide thread. here I've put some guides in there about this topic ;)

I always like the "find an example, think later" approach! Not always the most efficient, but it can work.

So, using the question as a guide...

1. What are the Areas of Knowledge? (write a list)

2. What role, if any, does language play?

3. What about the ambiguities of language? "He had already moved away from the imprecision of words" - Cat's Eye, Margaret Atwood.

4. How do these ambiguities affect each AoK? To what extent?

Paradoxes in Math.

Communication in all - ethics, arts.

Does it affect Math?

What subjects are effected by misinterpretations?

What would happen if people could not communicate verbally? Is there a non verbal language?

Is there a universal language?

Is this language numbers?

Are there any ambiguities in this language?

Guest dr34mXXX

I did this topic too, i think you should create 3-4 AoKs you wanna discuss.

Then list the purpose of language in each, and get solid examples from real-life, and make sure you rebut yourself for counterclaims.

I chose to do ethics, math and history.

Guest IB_procrastinator

Hi all,

I've already finished my TOK essay for this topic, and I just need some last minute touch ups :lol: , does anyone know any good way to format the paper for this topic or how to organize the ideas? Any logical flows perhaps? So far my essay is split into 3 AoKs, 1 paragraph for each, and 2 more body paragraphs for counter arguments. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :huh:

as long as the paragraphs are related to each other, like you can detect a flaw in them, then it's fine. as long as you have a clear thesis in your intro, and a conclusion is there.. they won't really care how you organize your body as long as it's not random :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest julz_90
check out the essay guide thread. here I've put some guides in there about this topic :P

LC, I love you for that :P my essay is due in 1 week and I only just decided which topic I'll take, but now I think it's gonna be easier than I thought B)

How did u guys organize ur essay? i'm kinda stuck on where i should include my problems of knowledge that relate to language.

- Please read the Rules regarding font size and colours. Thank you. And this question already has a thread. - HMS

Introduce the topic - define any key words that you need.

Explain WHAT areas of knowledge you will be looking at, and what key problems within these (that relate to language) you will discuss.

Discuss the first (any) problem of knowledge you've selected.

Somehow, find a flaw.

This flaw... redefine the "truth statement" that you used in the above paragraph, and find a flaw in this.

Keep going until you reach a conclusion. (And the word limit)

To get a better response, it would have helped if you wrote in a smaller font, and included the question in your post. I do not know this Session's topics by heart, and not all members here are sitting this examination session. (I'd also suggest that you don't abbrievate when writing the essay - the examiners don't like it, under the "command of language" criterion)

LC, I love you for that :P my essay is due in 1 week and I only just decided which topic I'll take, but now I think it's gonna be easier than I thought B)

thx dude :wub: I love you too haha though I don't know you :P can we take it a bit slower?

• 2 weeks later...

in art there is the unspken language that is like the whole part of a painting it is the most important matter of it, in math cno form of language could be used for their is a method that can be found out without anybody telling you what to do so it is not as equally important while in history i would say it i sequally important with art history has to be spoken

• 1 month later...
Guest iber2468

I did Arts, History, and Math as well.

Got a pretty good mark on it heh... except I submitted it to turnitin.com late so I can't submit this one to IB (my school makes us write 4 topics)

History: specific cases where historians had to use source documents (basically everything)

Math: I argued that math isn't a language by defining what natural language is, my teachers had some reservations about this and argued that math IS a language o_O

Arts: one or two medias are enough, such as painting/playwriting

Another way you can go about it is picking two AKs that seem similar, like Math and Natural Science, and argue how in fact that language do NOT play roles of equal importance.

I am thinking of switching from title 8 to 4 but I'm not sure. For some reason I have a lot of materials for each but cannot express it well.

For this one - can I argue that art has an unspoken/not written language? As in it tells the viewer a great deal but instead in pictures and interpretations.

Or is it too goofy? :worship: The thing I am worried with that one is that I do not have any set examples (unless I make it up by trying to convince the examiner by saying that 'For instance, in my opinion the painting of Mona Lisa tells that' but that's also very vague and unconvincing.

But then also - what do the question mean with 'equal importance'? How is it set? What is most important in each AoK? And how can they be compared to be stated as equal? It's not possible to measure importance after all.....Omg, so many problem of knowledge :)

argggggghhhh.

Edited by Afterglow