Will a Carbonyl group reduce the cation concentration of a solution?

Guest kenshi64

Guest kenshi64

Well That's why I thought a thought provoking IA, I learned in class of Oxygen's tendency to bond to positive ions, so I though lets put this idea through a test. And please cite a resource for your belief since It can be incorporated into my hypo and so that I can show it to my teacher too, Thanks a million!! :D:)

Carbonly Group

853248035.Ch.1.gif

This group is found in Ketones, Aldehydes etc

I don't understand your question at all. And it sounds like you plan to just add oxygen to a solution and see what happens to the concentration and I'm not sure how you plan to just add oxygen to a solution unless you bubble it which is very hard to control for measurements like this...

Even then, you would need an organic molecule that can bond to the oxygen and I'm not sure how that would work either...

The only place I know of where a carbon is partially positive is in the middle of the SN1 mechanism but then you would have 2 reactions going on assuming this works. The SN1 would make the carbocation but then it would carry on with the normal reaction with w/e it's reacting with and also with the oxygen somehow floating around.

None of this has a concentration of cations to begin with though...

I'm taking Further Organic option. if I remember correctly and if I understand this right, the pi bond in the C=O does attract the electrons to be localised on it. so its existence intensifies the density of a negative charge on a substance containing a C=O bond.

in a way it might make a cation more negative, although I'm not 100% sure. need to revise my option topic. :P