Calculating the internal resistance in the battery: Evaluation

Greentea

Hello guys

Im currently doing a IA on calculating the internal resistance in the battery, and got stuck on the improvements.

During the lab the only major problem was the chemical reaction of the battery - polarization, voltage was reducing. I've been trying to think what could I suggest to improve. My teacher gave me a clue, comparing a battery to a human, that if you break your leg when you play football, on the next day you wont be able to do that, but after few months your leg will recover, and you will be able to play. I just cant link his clue to the polarization of the battery in the lab.

Please help!

I have no idea XD That's what I got out of your teacher's advice lol

Although letting the battery sit could allow it to reach ion equilibrium of the redox reaction going on inside. Using the battery is still taking some electrons so actually using the battery could possibly cause the overall charges of the two parts of the voltaic cell to alter and thus that would alter your voltage.

I'm not doing this topic this year, doing it on IB2, but i guess i can help (I'll do my best).

You can possibly add that the room's/lab's temperature was fluctuating a lot. (Something like that happpened in a Mechanics IA, where the temperature of the room greatly affected the experiment).

Resistance wouldn't change too much with only the normal fluctuation of the room. At least I don't think it would change THAT much...but I could be wrong, temperature increases will lower resistance and vise versa =/

I'm not sure, but here in Lima, Perú, the weather is impossible to predict. 8-)

That day the morning was freezing, and at noon the climate was extremely hot.