Chemistry SL paper 3 TZ1

IB1011

How did everyone do?

I think I did alright, considering I had to learn a whole new optional unit the night before the exam!! But it went really nicely and I was sure about almost everything. My optional units were Medicines and drugs and Human biochemistry.

I did environment and analytical options. There were one or two questions that seemed quite unconventional (such as one about the fluctuation of carbon emission). But basically, IB is just changing over topics on the syllabus that the past two years didn't cover as much. Papers now really like questions such as state the source of PCB or PAH. Sometimes if one didn't scrutinize, these minor points would be easily missed. Syllabus is still the all-important guide.

It was an ok paper, the questions were a bit different from the papers I checked but it went good especially considering that I studied 80% of the two options by myself the night before!

I feel that I did better than in paper 2 (which I messed up :S) so hopefully it will push my grade up a bit!

I do Environmental and Industrial..What did you guys say for that question about carbon fluctuations??

As usual I made a whole lot of stuff up and said that it was because of changing seasons which cause there to be more evaporation in the summer and thus more water vapor in the air and I somehow linked this to CO2..haha, is this in anyway correct??

There was a question on med and drugs section that asked 'Define sympathetic drugs' and I had to guess on that question. Does anyone know the right answer?

You mean a sympathomimetic drug? There was a question about that, and I said that it was a drug that stimulates the sympathetic nervous system.

There was a question on med and drugs section that asked 'Define sympathetic drugs' and I had to guess on that question. Does anyone know the right answer?

You mean a sympathomimetic drug? There was a question about that, and I said that it was a drug that stimulates the sympathetic nervous system.

yea that's what I meant and I guessed right :) thank you :D it was just that I never came across that term during my studying so it threw my off a little. but I got the answer :)

yea that's what I meant and I guessed right :) thank you :D it was just that I never came across that term during my studying so it threw my off a little. but I got the answer :)

"Sympathomimetic drugs are substances that mimic the effects of the sympathetic nervous system"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathomimetic_drug

I don't know if they will take your answers or not. But the drug causes the same effects on the sympathetic nervous system, not stimulate the system itself.

• 4 weeks later...