Queens vs UofWaterloo

L_ramirez92

Hi guys, I plan to go into Fine Art at University, along with a minor in English, and I'm split between Queens Uni where they've accepted me for a BFA (Bachelors in Fine Art) amongst 30 students, and UofW where I can do an Art and Business co-op with specialization in upper years. Which one do you guys think I should pick? The Co-op in Waterloo definitely draws me..but do you think it is worth it, in light of internships I could do at Queens? Work experience, being paid, and getting employed right after uni is very important to me, so do you think employers would prefer an art student from a good so-so art uni with actual experience in different fields, or someone from an esteemed art uni? I have also heard Queens is quite the party school whereas Waterloo is a quiet one. I don't know, what do you guys think?

As far as I know, Waterloo has the better Arts program, and I think the co-op itself would benefit you greatly. It really depends on the kind of person you are as far as partying goes; as long as you're dedicated to your major, I don't see it being a big problem.

Actually, I have never heard a peep about arts from Waterloo. That uni is usually for Engineering and Computer Sciences, and anything outside of those two fields are pretty mundane. Co-op may or may not be a draw, but don't forget that you can spend the 4-month summer in internships.

From what I've heard, Queens seems to have the best social atmosphere out of almost any Uni in Canada. I've known a few people who's gone there, and every single one has loved it, which is definitely not what I've heard about UoA and Western.

If your number one goal from a program is employment though, I have to admit that co-op does give a leg up. You would have to acquire internships in the summers at Queens to try to have to same advantage, and those aren't guaranteed by any means, certainly not in the current job market. The downside to co-op is the extended schooling, and the fact that I've never even heard of them having arts co-ops until you mentioned it.

Agree with Proletariat - Queen's is a better choice for the Arts (and many other programs). In terms of coop at Waterloo - from what I have heard it is definitely not guaranteed you will be given a position if you are in a program at Waterloo either. You must find your own placements just like finding an internship in any university (with some level of support). The main difference is that you would be required to find a placement every coop term at Waterloo but at Queen's it would be up to you if you want to do an internship or not.

Edited by master135