Why should I take Maths HL?

Guys -

I'm about to start the IB, and am torn between maths SL and HL.

I do like maths, a lot, but don't want it to drag my total marks down. i.e. I don't know how epically I'm going to fail.

If I worked hard on SL, I'd probably get a 6 or 7.

But if I passed HL, I'd receive 2 bonus ranks for uni entry, which is worth more than IB points.

Is struggling through 2 years of HL worth the two points?

What are the benefits of HL?

Thank you ;D

I'm taking Math SL and all I can tell you is this is a really easy subject. I didn't pay attention to it at all during whole 2 years and I think that I'll easily get 6-7 from it after papers that I wrote a week ago. Math HL is one of these subjects where you learn tons of stuff that you're never gonna use in the future unless you're interested in math and you want to persue it or some other subject closely related to math. And during the 2 years of IB you are going to devote probably the largest amount of your precious time on Math HL(this is what my friends tell me). I personally wouldn't recommend you Math HL because if you are really interested in math you can learn it on your own and only stuff that interests you. I think it is not worth it to secrefice so much time just for university points when it comes to math. It just won't pay off in the future(in contrast to biology, physic or chemistry HL which are much more useful).

• Like 1

Guys -

I'm about to start the IB, and am torn between maths SL and HL.

I do like maths, a lot, but don't want it to drag my total marks down. i.e. I don't know how epically I'm going to fail.

If I worked hard on SL, I'd probably get a 6 or 7.

But if I passed HL, I'd receive 2 bonus ranks for uni entry, which is worth more than IB points.

Is struggling through 2 years of HL worth the two points?

What are the benefits of HL?

Thank you ;D

okay so first of all, SL isn't that easy, you need to give it practice, and some time. the difference between them is HL is more advanced and there are more topics, which means more practice and more time. so if what you want to study in the future a field requires advanced maths then go for HL. yes it is hard. but those 2 bonus ranks will help you out a lot. HL gives you a slightly better advantage when it comes to university, my IB coordinator says for the university it's better to get a 5/6 in math HL than a 6/7 in SL.

good luck!

You better start with HL first and then drop to SL if you can't cope, because it's highly subjective, we cannot tell whether you can survive in Math HL or not.. But it's worth a try!

I don't think Math HL is beneficial to Life Sciences students. It is beneficial to Engineering students though but you don't seem to be any interested in that. Honestly, Math SL will do for you but if you want to be challenged, go ahead and try Math HL!

Most people I met said Math HL is really hard and you need to work hard and all... But I've also met people who are doing perfectly fine in it and are saying that it's easy/manageable.

3% people would say that it's easy lah.. Are you in the 97%, or in the 3%? I don't know. And you can't tell till you try it out yourself ;) Good luck!

Edited by dessskris

I would honestly say that taking maths HL is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Though it may be quite a bit of work most of the time, if you like feeling your knowledge and ability to understand things grow, it is the one course in the IB you should pick. Compared to my this course, my other courses are a joke. Seriously. I personally like physics a lot more than math, but maths HL made me like it--I'm in the middle of a portfolio, and no matter how frustrating it is, it makes you really think and dig deep into your understanding of concepts in math you've been learning since preschool. Let's face it, if you like the IB, you like that sort of thing. I would definitely take it.

Plus, if you're worried about uni stuff, most unis realise how difficult maths HL is, and give you leeway with your marks in the course.