subject selection

Wennie le Poof

Hey guys~

I'm just about to start the IB, and need some advice concerning subject selection.

The uni courses I'm thinking about are vet science, marine bio, dentistry, medicine. The prerequisites are english, maths SL (at least), chemistry

I'm thinking of taking these subjects:

English SL (secure - I suck at it)

Mandarin B HL (secure - native speaker)

Psychology SL (interested but not good at essays)

Chemistry SL

Biology HL (I'm interested in both bio & chem, which is harder?)

Maths HL (want to give it a go)

I don't HAVE to take biology, but do you think it's better to build some foundation in that area for my desired uni courses?

Do you think chemistry or biology takes up more time? cos I've already got maths HL.

advice would really be appreciated

I curious what country you want to go to university in, because that could affect what subjects you should do.

However, I think you subjects look fine, and as I said on the other post, just do whatever science you prefer at HL and if you are concerned about the time it takes up, then really go for whatever one you enjoy the most, because it will be easy to find the time for something you enjoy.

Hey guys~

I'm just about to start the IB, and need some advice concerning subject selection.

The uni courses I'm thinking about are vet science, marine bio, dentistry, medicine. The prerequisites are english, maths SL (at least), chemistry

I'm thinking of taking these subjects:

English SL (secure - I suck at it)

Mandarin B HL (secure - native speaker)

Psychology SL (interested but not good at essays)

Chemistry SL

Biology HL (I'm interested in both bio & chem, which is harder?)

Maths HL (want to give it a go)

I don't HAVE to take biology, but do you think it's better to build some foundation in that area for my desired uni courses?

Do you think chemistry or biology takes up more time? cos I've already got maths HL.

advice would really be appreciated

If you're thinking of taking medicine, definitely HL Chemistry. Most universities will want you to take HL chemistry opposed to biology or.. maths. I think since you're wanting to take such science based subjects, it would definitely be a plus if you take two sciences higher levels. Maths higher level is more time consuming than sciences and you really have to enjoy it, to be able to master it and get a high grade but for sciences, you still can get a good grade if you don't like it, or if you find it boring (Maths HL is one of the hardest subjects in IB, and I agree)

I take nearly exactly the same subjects as you, mandarin HL you should keep since you probably won't do anything. What I recommend is HL chem, bio, chinese B. SL maths, psych & english A1. If you really want a challenge (and maybe impress universities.. depending on the university you want to go to) then you could also do maths HL, but that would put you in a lot of pressure and you have to be willing to honestly work a lot and sacrifice your free time.

you could always start taking HL math chemistry mandarin and biology and drop one later. Most people I know who did Math HL in australia dropped it because it was too hard. Don't drop mandarin HL as people have said. If you find you're really enjoying math, I'd suggest drop down to biology SL. But Math HL is really hard. For medicine a high total is needed, so play to your skills too as well as prerequisites.

I go to school in Australia ;D

A pass in maths HL will earn me 2 bonus ranks though, do you think it's worth it?

Go for it. If you are good with maths you will be fine and to be honest, the 2 extra rank points was the reason that made sure i took HL maths to start with, then I fell in love with it. Also, my friends have found that the difference between SL and HL in terms of grades really isn't that different. A two from my class dropped down at the end of IB1 into SL, and both were on low 4s. Now in SL, one is still getting a 4 and the other is only just scrapping a 5. And considering you only need a 3 for the bonus points, its worth it.