Chemistry HL P1 and P2 TZ1

Phil2154

How did you do? I think that P1 was really easy but P2 was a bit tricky... I answered questions 6,7 (periodicity and organic)... I hated the exercise in section A with the Arrhenius constant and the one with the vapor pressure... How much did you find the b.p. of benzene? I said it was 80.

Guest Red XII

I thought P1 was extremely easy and that P2 was also much easier than usual. Section A was absolutely amazing - I think I got nearly all of the marks. I also answered 6 and 7, but was a little unsure of some of the stuff in 6 (and probably lost a mark or two on the diamond/graphite/fullerene question) and of the final two-step process in 7.

I forgot how to calculate Ea :((((((

Anyway, p1 was awesome, p2 was alright. I chose organic and redox. Organic was easy except for the halogenolakane->pentylamine question. Apparently it was substitution then reduction if I remember right.

I'm hoping I got a 6 on p2 and a 7 on p1, but we'll see...

OH. Did anyone else come up with methanol combustion being spontaneous?...I ended up with a -detla H (expected) and a positive delta S which ALWAYS comes out to be spontaneous? Something had to be wrong with delta S unless somehow combustion became spontaneous...

Was delta S supposed to be negative? If you balance the reaction you get 2mol of liquid and 4 of gas turning into 2 gas and 4 liquid? Seems like a negative change to me but when I did the sum of S of the products minus the sum of S of the reactants it was always negative =/

Edited by Drake Glau

They were both fairly straightforward..

I think I messed up on the Arrhenius question somehow :S

and yes i remember getting like 81 or something for boiling point as well

ALSO what is with me and always screwing up Stoichiometry...

Also, for the multiple choice, the last question about the Actual Value... I wrote all values.. because it is possible for all values to occur if there's systematic error..? I have no idea.. imo it was a horrible question

I chose Acid-Base and Redox for Paper 2, and they were both good, except for the last question on acid-base..

Do you guys think the Grade Boundaries this year will be higher than previous years :S i hope not...

Edited by darthtire

How did you do? I think that P1 was really easy but P2 was a bit tricky... I answered questions 6,7 (periodicity and organic)... I hated the exercise in section A with the Arrhenius constant and the one with the vapor pressure... How much did you find the b.p. of benzene? I said it was 80.

On the graph you had to find when the vapour pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure. I don't remember but i think it was around 81 or 80

• Like 1

Anyway, p1 was awesome, p2 was alright. I chose organic and redox. Organic was easy except for the halogenolakane->pentylamine question. Apparently it was substitution then reduction if I remember right.

OH. Did anyone else come up with methanol combustion being spontaneous?...I ended up with a -detla H (expected) and a positive delta S which ALWAYS comes out to be spontaneous? Something had to be wrong with delta S unless somehow combustion became spontaneous...

Was delta S supposed to be negative? If you balance the reaction you get 2mol of liquid and 4 of gas turning into 2 gas and 4 liquid? Seems like a negative change to me but when I did the sum of S of the products minus the sum of S of the reactants it was always negative =/

Yeah I got the same thing. I guess IB is more interested in finding the free gibbs energy. Overall I thought these year papers were much easier, because I knew Acids and Bases and Energetics really well. Hope everyone did better than they expected

Yea. I talked to my teacher about it and she explained that the "non-spontaneous" part is ignition, afterwards it is spontaneous. So since the reaction we were given was already burning it should have been spontaneous. Whew!

And yea, the BP question was just go find your standard pressure and write down the temperature that is matched up with for that line :)

Guest Red XII

Yep, I said it was always spontaneous as well. Spontaneity doesn't truly mean that it'll just automatically happen (contrary to the meaning of spontaneity...). It's weird like that...

I think the halogenoalkne-->pentylamine question was the one I had trouble with, too. From the sound of the question, though, we may have gotten a mark for writing the name of the final organic product that they gave us in the question, though :). I'm guessing not many people will have gotten that problem, though, so it's not a big deal if we missed marks there.

Yea, it's substitution of CN and then reduction to add H2. Stupid in my opinion. I looked it up RIGHT after the test because I was mad that that was the ONLY thing of organic I forgot for the whole test...

Oh, yea, my teacher explained the spontaneity. Ignition is not spontaneous however AFTER ignition it is producing it's own energy to continue burning for the actual burning (which is the equation we were given) was spontaneous so we're fine XD

My favorite question was the one where it gave you compound A B C D and E and then described their pathways and made you draw them, pretty sure I got all 5 of them :)

Edited by Drake Glau

Yea, it's substitution of CN and then reduction to add H2. Stupid in my opinion. I looked it up RIGHT after the test because I was mad that that was the ONLY thing of organic I forgot for the whole test...

Oh, yea, my teacher explained the spontaneity. Ignition is not spontaneous however AFTER ignition it is producing it's own energy to continue burning for the actual burning (which is the equation we were given) was spontaneous so we're fine XD

My favorite question was the one where it gave you compound A B C D and E and then described their pathways and made you draw them, pretty sure I got all 5 of them :)

I loved the one with the A B C D E too! I think A was a secondary halogenoalcane, B a secondary alcohol, C a ketone, D a tertiary halogenoalkane and E a tertiary alcohol! I hope I'm right...!

Yea, one was secondary because it made a ketone (oxidized once and then resisted), the last was definately tertiary because it wouldn't oxidize at all. I think it was just a fun question XD

Ahhh I knew it!

I was going to the organic question, but then i saw all the catalysts that were being asked for, and i couldn't remember any of them, so I ended up doing acid-base/redox instead. I'm not feeling good about this exam at all though!

Guest Red XII

Ah...yeah...that's not what I did. I knew I had to get CN in there but I think I tried to do something with making it an alcohol and then condensing the CN onto it...I had no idea what to do, so I just wrote something down to try to get some partial credit if I got lucky.

The ABCDE question was great - I knew that one right away, so I was pretty happy about that.

Yea, one was secondary because it made a ketone (oxidized once and then resisted), the last was definately tertiary because it wouldn't oxidize at all. I think it was just a fun question XD

Ahhh I knew it!

I was going to the organic question, but then i saw all the catalysts that were being asked for, and i couldn't remember any of them, so I ended up doing acid-base/redox instead. I'm not feeling good about this exam at all though!

I don't remember them asking for a lot of catalysts O.o

There were a few, one I forgot so I just down H2SO4 because it seems to be so common XD

Guest Red XII

Ahhh I knew it!

There were a few, one I forgot so I just down H2SO4 because it seems to be so common XD

Yeah I think we really only had to know a few of them. I did the same thing for the ones I didn't know - when in doubt, it's H2SO4 ;).

Ahhh I knew it!

Yeah I think we really only had to know a few of them. I did the same thing for the ones I didn't know - when in doubt, it's H2SO4 ;).

Exactly what our Chem teacher said as we walked out of "snack room" to take the test downstairs :D

Guest Red XII

Ahhh I knew it!

Exactly what our Chem teacher said as we walked out of "snack room" to take the test downstairs :D

Yep, same here. I asked about the conditions for a reaction and he said "if you're not sure, try heat and H2SO4."