How demanding is IB Music HL?

Engel

Hey there!

So, I have like a thousand questions about IB Music, although I won't haunt you with all of them. And yes, some of them might sound stupid, but I want to see if I actually get the whole thing. Would really appreciate an answer, as my nearest IB Diploma School who teaches Music is like... three countries away (I'm moving off for UWC in the US, yay!).

1. The syllabus, am I correct if I say that it's about 1/3 musical theory, 1/3 composition and 1/3 performance?

2. How's the exams? I see it's okey enough to write an exam on musical theory and analysis, but what about the rest? Is it recording/oral?

3. Do I have to be a world-class singer if I want to take IB Music HL with vocals as my instrument? I can say I'm quite a good singer, but it's not as if I'm going to make a career out of it. I just love music, and want to do both music and something else at the same time while studying.

4. While on the performance part: Is it so that I have to sing/play a special genre to do it well? Or isn't that a problem. I really, really like to sing classical and jazz, and I honestly don't think that pop/rock/country suits my voice whatsoever (my teacher agrees, haha!). Oh, and IF i find out that eg. Asian folk songs are awesome to sing and suits me, can I do that instead?

5. How is the composition and performance part graded?

6. Is IB Music really hard? I love music, but I'm probably not the best musical artist you'll ever find, I'm very creative, and have an ear for music, but yeah. After all, there's not that many Barbara Streisands, Pavarottis and other extremely fantastic singers out there. Although I know there are a lot of talented artists all over the world, but yeah. You (hopefully) get my picture.

Anyways, I'd be so grateful to know ANYTHING about the Music IB class. Tell me anything I should know! And warn me if IB Music is horrible, hahaha. Although it'll take a lot for me to change my mind about taking Music HL when I enter UWC next year!

Thanks in advance,

Engel

Hey there!

So, I have like a thousand questions about IB Music, although I won't haunt you with all of them. And yes, some of them might sound stupid, but I want to see if I actually get the whole thing. Would really appreciate an answer, as my nearest IB Diploma School who teaches Music is like... three countries away (I'm moving off for UWC in the US, yay!).

1. The syllabus, am I correct if I say that it's about 1/3 musical theory, 1/3 composition and 1/3 performance?

2. How's the exams? I see it's okey enough to write an exam on musical theory and analysis, but what about the rest? Is it recording/oral?

3. Do I have to be a world-class singer if I want to take IB Music HL with vocals as my instrument? I can say I'm quite a good singer, but it's not as if I'm going to make a career out of it. I just love music, and want to do both music and something else at the same time while studying.

4. While on the performance part: Is it so that I have to sing/play a special genre to do it well? Or isn't that a problem. I really, really like to sing classical and jazz, and I honestly don't think that pop/rock/country suits my voice whatsoever (my teacher agrees, haha!). Oh, and IF i find out that eg. Asian folk songs are awesome to sing and suits me, can I do that instead?

5. How is the composition and performance part graded?

6. Is IB Music really hard? I love music, but I'm probably not the best musical artist you'll ever find, I'm very creative, and have an ear for music, but yeah. After all, there's not that many Barbara Streisands, Pavarottis and other extremely fantastic singers out there. Although I know there are a lot of talented artists all over the world, but yeah. You (hopefully) get my picture.

Anyways, I'd be so grateful to know ANYTHING about the Music IB class. Tell me anything I should know! And warn me if IB Music is horrible, hahaha. Although it'll take a lot for me to change my mind about taking Music HL when I enter UWC next year!

Thanks in advance,

Engel

1) Technically yes, but a better term for music theory would be music perception and analysis. IB Music isn't so much about music theory (intervals, chords, etc) as it is about listening to a piece of music and being able to analyze what you hear.

2)The exam is a listening paper. There are 2 set works which you will have studied in class, and then 4 pieces which you will hear for the first time.

3)Not necessarily, but you will be graded on things such as technical competence and interpretation. You will have to do a 20 minute solo performance, which can consist of one group performance.

4) Do what you're comfortable with, but it definitely helps to do a variety of different genres in your solo performance.

5) You have to write 3 compositions which are graded on overall impression, structural and stylistic integrity, technical knowledge of medium, control and development of musical elements, and accurate notation. The performance is graded on overall impression, technical competence, style and interpretation, and repertoire. Each is 25% of your grade, and is assessed internally.

6) Not really. If you have a genuine appreciation of music and are willing to put in the work, you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

IB music was definitely my fun class. Here I am procrastinating for uni by answering your questions. :P

But generally, if you haven't been playing music since Year 7 you're probably going to struggle. You should have a good foundation in musical theory, certainly an appreciation for classical music and many different cultures of music and you should be able to speak the language quite well. This is coming from a class of kids who got mostly 6's I think.

I think the standard of performance is generally higher for performance than composition, so if writing music is your strength then you should do well. The main thing is the course really requires you to be an all-rounded musician, both in performance and in an academic context. It's a heap of fun, get your IA's done in time and start them early. I'd say if you do all this it's hard to not get a 5.