Further Mathematics SL - P1

Lawliet

Hey there, guys!

I didn't see any thread about Further Maths so far so I was wondering...

Was anyone here as insane as me to pick Further Math?! :rolleyes:

So, both exams are over for more than 24 hours.. But there is no one here..

I feel a bit alone, didn't have anyone in my school to talk to about..

So, is there anyone here who did it?

Post by: Mahuta

Paper 1 only please. :)

Here,here ......me me me me...... i took further maths............ i don't usually say this but the p1 was easy and p2 was not that difficult except the euclidean geometry question... i wasted a lot of time on that... but i covered up last minute.......... i know i won't score a seven but but i will try next year again in November... i am not giving up until i have that seven. How was your paper... very curious to know.....

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

Here,here ......me me me me...... i took further maths............ i don't usually say this but the p1 was easy and p2 was not that difficult except the euclidean geometry question... i wasted a lot of time on that... but i covered up last minute.......... i know i won't score a seven but but i will try next year again in November... i am not giving up until i have that seven. How was ur paper... very curious to know.....

Omg, finally a fellow sufferer! I have looked through several websites on the internet and never even saw someone saying they take it. Only once or twice on this forum have I seen someone write it in their signature.. So glad to have someone to talk to :hug:

P1 was also quite good for me.. I managed to do everything except completely solving that homogeneous equation where I screwed up somewhere in the middle, but yeah, except for that it was also good for me.

For P2 same here with that geometry question.. Did you even manage to do it completely? When I first saw it I scribbled something down and thought "Uarg, skip it for now." It was quite a bit harder than P1 I thought. Everything else went by nicely, the last strange question with that automorphism proof for Abelian groups was weird, don't know if I got that right.

But the geometry question I did not manage to do it completely.. I mean, powers? Come on, give me similar triangles..

I was so glad the statistics questions went by so smoothely :D Normally, I'm not that strong in it..

Ahh, why do you think you won't get a seven? If you say P1 was good, as it was for me, you should be fine.. I mean, for Further Maths don't P1 and P2 count the same? If you have a good P1, I'm sure it'll balance out.. Did you manage to finish P2 completely? I mean, have a go at every question or even answered every question?

Say, what year of IB are you in if you think of doing the exam again? I'm in IB 2 so I am doing Further Maths together with the rest of my exams for a complete IB diploma...

Edited by Lawliet

Hey! Its good to here you're in the same struggle as i am.... a sufferer :sadnod:

Yeah the reason why i don't feel i will be scoring a seven is because paper 2 contributes to 65% of the total weight hence screwing that euclidean geometry means a loss of 14 marks out of 90 or so. Add in a few marks for careless mistakes so a total of probably 25-30 marks.... so really i might just get a seven or a high six... :P

And the thing is that i am taking a gap year to try again for my dream uni hence if i do not score that seven i have another chance in November to repeat... technically speaking its not a repeat just a means of satisfying myself.

And i am surprised you found the statistic question easy... it took a while for me to crack it and being honest i thought statistic was my strong point.

I was able to finish the papers on time p1 and 2 but like you said the geometry screwed but during my five minute reading time i knew i had to skip it.... so when i finished the paper i came back and tried to sove it.... interestingly i dod not solve it but when i went home the question was stuck in my head and i tried to solve it whih finally paid of it basically is simple....... you use the ptolemy's theorem and stewerts theorem. Ptolemy to find the second cross section and stwerte to find the cross section of the second triangle....but anyways i hope ur paper went well it would be awesome if we both scored sevens, we'd be like the only people.... high hopes you know :D:) :)

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

I was able to finish the papers on time p1 and 2 but like you said the geometry screwed but during my five minute reading time i knew i had to skip it.... so when i finished the paper i came back and tried to sove it.... interestingly i dod not solve it but when i went home the question was stuck in my head and i tried to solve it whih finally paid of it basically is simple....... you use the ptolemy's theorem and stewerts theorem. Ptolemy to find the second cross section and stwerte to find the cross section of the second triangle....but anyways i hope ur paper went well it would be awesome if we both scored sevens, we'd be like the only people.... high hopes you know :D:) :)

Uff, you confuse me, are you speaking about the geometry question in P2? Maybe we got different time zones or this crap with the different exams, but my geometry question was about a point and then some messy stuff with the power of the point to 2 different circles.. And then a second part with Menelaus' theorem... Either way, I did not manage completely and scribbled down something for both...

But I know this annoying thing with the "coming up with the solution when you didn't know it in the exam". :console: I had this for P1 so far: Couldn't completely solve an integral, and then at home I get that I simply had to play around with the signs... >.<

But I bet it will be fine.. Isn't the total in marks for P2 like 120? Well, 13 out of 120 is kinda ok, I mean the grade boundary for a 7 in P2 is often like >80 marks out of 120.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, for both of us! :D:hug:

And the thing is that i am taking a gap year to try again for my dream uni hence if i do not score that seven i have another chance in November to repeat... technically speaking its not a repeat just a means of satisfying myself.

Hm, that sounds interesting.. And it's even more interesting considering that I also take a gap year.. Since you took Further Maths I gather you want to study mathematics?

Ohh, and about what dream uni are we speaking about? Are you from the UK? Because if yes, then we might have something interesting to talk about.. Send me a private message because I guess we shouldn't spam this thread with our personal issues..

Did you have this course offered by your schools, or were you doing independent studies? What do you think, is it manageable to do it outside of school?

Hm, let's say it like that: You should be really confident with maths and enthusiastic about it from your own part. If you just get dragged into it, it's no good...

Anyways, I personally first needed to convince my school that I was capable of doing it, and I had a really nice teacher who motivated me. In the end, it was kind of mixed for me and I did much of it on my own, and my teacher helped with everything I couldn't really understand.

For me it was less of a burden like "uhh, another subject..", but more like something enjoyable.

Since it's simply all of the options of Maths HL in one course, it's technically not harder than Maths HL, it is just a lot. Maybe skim through one of the options and look if that is something you could possibly do on your own with a bit of help... But don't let yourself be shocked: At first I though statistics was horrible and didn't understand it, but now I really enjoy it.

Doing it on your own outside of school should work, if you have a nice maths teacher whom you can ask any questions you might have, if you are motivated about it and really want to do it, if Maths HL by itself is not a problem for you, and if it will not stress you out too much.

I want to study maths and had the luck that all of the above worked out for me.

So if you really want to do it, then go for it, tiger! :)

Thank you for your response...

I have another question since things in my school are quite unclear. When did you study Further Maths, in the second or you did in both years?

And, did you take it as a seventh subject (is there any benefit from doing it in any case)?

I want to study Mathematics as well and I guess I'll find the course very interesting...

Edited by Dayseizer

I ended up doing Further Maths as my 7th subject together with all the other subjects. So at the moment I am doing the exams for all of my subjects, Further Maths included..

Later on I learned that you can take it in Group 5 instead of, say, Maths HL, but even then I didn't really care.. I am even glad I did it as a 7th subject.. That way such a tough subject would not affect the overall sum of your IB Diploma grade :D

I guess I also had luck with my amazing maths teacher: She has been teaching me Maths HL and then she was the one I could always ask questions about Further Maths. She understood my position and thus didn't force me to do anything for Maths HL, saying that she knew I was able to anyways. So really Further Maths was for me like my maths class, challenging me where Maths HL could not.

Hm, as I experienced it, the main thing with Further Maths is not that it's difficult difficult (as I said, technically it's "only" Maths HL options). It's more like it's slightly different and feels unusual. If you can properly pace yourself, the problem with additional work and stress is virtually non-existent (at least it was for me; for me Further Maths was a relief). Before I started Further Maths, I did not particularly enjoy geometry stuff and statistics things, but now I not only have big respect for them, I adore them! Further Maths just forces you to learn several really different options, and I just loved that!