Question about paper 3

aya91

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any restriction on use of GDC during paper 3, depending on the topic? Because I'm doing topic 9, but it doesn't seem like a topic that really requires much calculator use, so far I've only encountered one past paper question where a GDC might be useful. Will they penalize if I use my GDC to solve specific questions or is it like in Paper 2, where I would need to sketch the graph in order to receive marks for my answer?

Thanks

Ayelet

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any restriction on use of GDC during paper 3, depending on the topic? Because I'm doing topic 9, but it doesn't seem like a topic that really requires much calculator use, so far I've only encountered one past paper question where a GDC might be useful. Will they penalize if I use my GDC to solve specific questions or is it like in Paper 2, where I would need to sketch the graph in order to receive marks for my answer?

Thanks

Ayelet

I'm doing the statistics and probability option (on monday) and we definitely need it I mean nearly all tasks require a calculator; it would seem a bit odd if you weren't allowed a calculator it's the same paper after all (or same part of the syllabus if you will --> it's assessed in the same way). So yes it's like paper 2 you can use it for whatever you want and there shouldn't be any problems.

Good luck with you paper. I know I'll need it.

Edited by ocfx

Thanks

Ayelet

Yes, you can use the GDC on paper 3. We were actually discussing this in class a few weeks ago. I'm also doing topic 9(sets, relations, groups) and yeah you don't really need a calculator. You might use it to sketch graphs to show that a function is surjective.

You'll notice that it doesn't say anything about the calculator not being permitted on any of the paper 3s, and the statistics people clearly need to use the GDC.

Good luck with paper 3! ;)