Which international universities....

jason32894

So this will be my first topic posting. :)

I have never even considered foreign colleges outside the US until recently. Someone please advise me on what path I should take!

Courses:

year 1

Math Studies SL

Psychology SL

TOK part 1

year 2

Biology HL

History of the Americas HL

English HL

Spanish SL

maybe Math SL

TOK part 2

1. my transcript sucks. :read:

2. I have a lot of extracurriculars (ex: 1000 hrs + community service).

3. Art portfolio (pretty good).

4. I'm doing well with IB exams/ia's/etc.

5. I speak English, Spanish, Korean, and bits of Swedish

I am hoping to go into a med school, but from my general understanding the procedure is completely different from that here in the US. If I were to go somewhere within the US, I would normally apply for a regular "college" and obtain a B.S. before applying a second time to another highly selective med school for M.D. However, I'm getting the feeling that this is not the case for anywhere else in the world.

My chances of getting into a good US university seem slim due to my subpar transcript so if going international means getting into better schools, I am more than willing.

Please help me. I literally have no clue whatsoever. :sadnod:

I am only aware of the procedures in the UK, as that is where I have applied to.

If you are thinking of going for medicine, Math studies and no Chem HL won't do you any good, and I don't believe any respectable UK university will consider you. A good friend of mine applied for medicine at four universities in the UK with a predicted score of 44 and did not get a place most likely due to the fact that her only 6-grade subject was Chem. It's competitive out there and you have to be prepared.

Otherwise, if medicine is what you really want to do, talk to your IB coordinator and take the time to also discuss the situation with your college counselor. Then you can decide which is the best route to take; it could either be a change of your current subjects or... perhaps an entire career change.

Edited by pigsonthewing