IB Music exam format

Calista Bernard

Unfortunately my music class has a horrible teacher, who knows nothing about either music or IB Music. Can someone please tell me how the exam is formatted? What kinds of questions will be asked? Will they be general, as in "Write an analysis of this piece," or more specific? Any links to past exam questions would be greatly appreciated.

The first 3 questions are on the set pieces, Mozart's Symphony No. 41 and Copland's El Salon Mexico. If you are HL, you'll answer all 3 questions. If you're SL, you will answer 1 OR 2, AND 3. (So if you're SL either 1 and 3 or 2 and 3.) Questions 1 and 2 are specifically about one of the pieces ex. How successful was Copland in mixing 20th century tone colors with traditional tone colors? Question 3 will be compare and contrast the two pieces with regard to certain aspects (rhythm, timbre, etc.)

Questions 4-7 are the pieces you listen to and analyze. They may be identified or unidentified- mostly they will be unidentified. There may or may not be a score for one or more of the pieces. If there IS a score, there is a specific aspect of the piece the examiners definitely want you to pick up on.

The questions will basically ask you to analyze what you hear. Talk about historical context, instrumentation, form, harmony, rhythm, timbre, all that good stuff.

If you're HL, Question 8 will ask you to compare and contrast two of the pieces from Questions 4-7 with regard to a specific musical link. If you're SL, you don't have to answer question 8.

I know the feeling, my music teacher is the same; we haven't had a lesson all year! Anyway, for the exam, on part A there's going to be one question on the Copland Piece, one on the Mozart piece, and a comparison question between the two. Part B consists of (I think) 4 works, all with recordings; one with a score and title, one with just the title, and the other two are unidentified. For that section, it's just basically tell them what you hear (elements of music) and think about the piece (context, geography, etc.).

The first 3 questions are on the set pieces, Mozart's Symphony No. 41 and Copland's El Salon Mexico. If you are HL, you'll answer all 3 questions.

This is not true. Both HL and SL students must answer either question 1 or question 2. Neither are required to answer both, nor should they. However, question 3 must be answered.

• Like 1