Can you include pictures in your ToK essay?

ZiggyM

One of my friends is doing their TOK essay and including art as one of their areas of knowledge, and they are wanting to know if they can include pictures in their essay? The actual one. I wouldn't think so but not compltely sure?

Thanks

One of my friends is doing their TOK essay and including art as one of their areas of knowledge, and they are wanting to know if they can include pictures in their essay? The actual one. I wouldn't think so but not compltely sure?

Thanks

There's nothing saying you can't. You could treat it like an EE and put it into an appendix or go geography style and integrate it into the text and label it "Figure 1" or something similar. But remember to reference the source of the the picture both as a footnote and in the bibliography.

I feel that having a picture in your TOK essay would detract from the content of the actual writing. Personally I don't think it's a great idea - the essay should demonstrate your ability to convey complex ideas without the help of visual aids. Pictures should be saved for the TOK presentation.

But don't take my word for it, it's just an opinion. And as said above, reference your sources.

• 4 years later...

I personally included images in my TOK essay, however I only used it to enhance my point (mine was the November 2015 title 4: "In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.” Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge). It aided in differentiating between the simple and complex, when I presented images of the simple components and the complex components. Of course, only use it if it aids in reinforcing your argument to best answer the question. :)