Does it hurt my grade if I put 4 different tables for raw data?

YeunJi Lee

Does it hurt my grade? I know it is the best to put them into one table but there is some complexion for me to do that. So is there any aspect in DCP or Conclusion/Evaluation where it says that I can't do 4 different tables for raw data?

OH and do I have to put the heading for each table? Do I have to label like Table 1, table 2, etc? and Does the heading have to be descriptive (e.g. Measuring blah blah blah) can it be just like Masses of blah blah blah? If I have to be descriptive, what kind of heading do I have to use for processed data?

Edited by YeunJi Lee

Does it hurt my grade? I know it is the best to put them into one table but there is some complexion for me to do that. So is there any aspect in DCP or Conclusion/Evaluation where it says that I can't do 4 different tables for raw data?

OH and do I have to put the heading for each table? Do I have to label like Table 1, table 2, etc? and Does the heading have to be descriptive (e.g. Measuring blah blah blah) can it be just like Masses of blah blah blah? If I have to be descriptive, what kind of heading do I have to use for processed data?

I think it might hurt your grade; you might just get 1 out of 2 for presenting the data.

It doesn't explicitly say that you can't do 4 tables, but i'd still try to do one to be on the safe side.

and yes, for every table, write a descriptive title. I don't know which experiment this is for, but for one of my labs where i got 6 for DCP, my title for the graph was:

Table 1: Table showing raw data of the volume of gas obtained and the controlled variables when a particular volatile liquid was vaporized inside a gas syringe

I think you should try to be at least that descriptive.

If you are 100% confident that you absolutely cannot show your data as anything less than four separate tables, then so be it. If it really is that serious, then surely IBO will understand.

As for headings, yes, essentially the example Nuka used above. It's not hard to properly label tables, and it takes like 10 seconds per.

Thank you both!!

But I still have some doubts..

Please check two files I've uploaded.

Raw 1 is 4 tables (showing only 2 of them and is complete)

Raw 2 is one table (is not complete)

I thought Raw 2 would not work because there are two different uncertainties, (+_ 0.05mL and 0.03) but in this table I can only put one...

While I was writing this, I thought of a new table wiith one table, and I don't know if I did this right..

could you have a look at it and comment please? Thanks

P.S and I have one question for processed data.. Can I put multiple table for this?

Edited by YeunJi Lee

Thank you both!!

But I still have some doubts..

I thought Raw 2 would not work because there are two different uncertainties, (+_ 0.05mL and 0.03) but in this table I can only put one...

While I was writing this, I thought of a new table wiith one table, and I don't know if I did this right..

could you have a look at it and comment please? Thanks

P.S and I have one question for processed data.. Can I put multiple table for this?

The 3rd one is fine. From it I was able to understand that you used 4 measuring devices to add 25mL of water and those were the masses after adding that 25mL per trial. Makes sense to me.

I'm concerned about your uncertainties...

Graduated cyclinder, 0.05mL? I've seen no graduated cylinder that goes under maybe 0.2mL graduation...

Same with a pipette actually, unless you used a fancy one.

Actually same with all of these. Just seems your uncertainties are SUPER small compared to what I've seen in my chem lab =/

• Like 1

Thank you!! I'll adopt the third one then..

Btw the uncertainties are true. if my calculation was correct..

All three equipment (graduated cylinder, graduated pipette and burette) had 0.1mL of increment so isnt the uncertainty the number divided by two therefore 0.05mL? I know its a super small number o_o

And for volumetric one, I'm not sure cuz I didnt have time to check it but from what I found on the internet, the uncertainty was 0.03mL Idk..

Oh could you help me onces more?

Cuz I was trying to working out the outliers for each of them,

and I dont know what method I should use.

Normally I know they put the numbers into scattered graph and then add a trend line

but for this particular experiment, the outliers are so big and the no of trials are so small that the outliers are kinda false...

So in this case what should I do?

And should I take into account the uncertainties when I work out the outliers?

Thank you!

Well this is how I would approach this. As I advised in the last topic, do all the working first, then worry about the errors and uncertainties.

pZ6rl.jpg

What I have done here for the graduated cylinder is found the mass of each of the '25 cm's then averaged them. This gives a value for which each '25cm3' weighs.

I would do this for each of the equipments. I would calculate the 'real' (because you want to get rid of any negatives, a -50% is more inaccurate than a 16% difference but in order to compare them you need to change -50% into 50%) precentage difference between the obtained value and the literature value.

So for the graduated cylinder it would be:

(24.456-25.000)/25.000 = -2.176% therefore in real terms: 2.176%

Proceed to do with the rest, the equipment with the least real % difference is the most accurate.

Now for the errors. As I stated in the previous topic, the random uncertainty for any measurement using a electronic scale is twice that value stated as its uncertainy. This is because you tare it, then you wiegh. i.e. you have a difference for example between 0.000 +/- 0.001 and 175.433 +/- 0.001 Thus the value is 175.433 +/- 0.002

All your mass obtained values are +/- 0.002, the difference is +/- 0.004 as you are combining subtracting two values with errors.

See here for more details on errors:

Off topic

Whenever you feel that you have got an answer, I would advice to delete your attachments to avoid suspicious plagiarism, even though if it is still your own work.

On topic

My teacher often says, the less tables the better. That's all I know.

Happy Easter!