To what extent does music close a person in their own world?

Guest JimmyK

Guest JimmyK

It's not for a TOK Presentation or anything lol it's just curiosity to know what people think about music as a cause for closeness of a person to the "outside" world

As we all know, to listen to music, nowadays, people have earphones and headphones which consequently means that they won't be able to listen to what others are saying and they will only be focusing on the music they're listening to. Plus, music creates groups within a society according to their taste and all that...

On the other hand, at the same time that it creates groups, it allows people from different backgrounds to come together and share experiences. In addition, we have the concerts which gather loads of people in the same place.

This was just a little introduction, I believe, to what can be said ;)

So yeah, I'd like to hear your opinions!

Hey! You raised a very interesting cultural issue. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I think that obviously music plays an important role in defining ones "inner world". By listening to music we definately change our mood, hence we submerge into a world where we are in contact with plain music. Music absorbes us to the point that after or while listening to a specific song we can interpret the oustide world as we "see" it in the "inner musical world". For example if I listen to slow paced songs, I usally feel compelled to reflect and philosophize about current world or personal issues. Sometimes it happens to me that music drives me into this philosophical dialogue with my conscience and I don´t pay attention to other things that happen at the same time, just the music.

I personally find this quote interesting, thus it is related with this topic: "When words leave off, music starts." This quote draws a clear line between music and words, classifying music as the absence of words. Therefore when we sometimes listen to music we become wordless and somehow understand the world with musicality. The latter sentence is a clear example of how music sokes us into a "world" of perspectives different to ours. I hope you get my point. I love philosophical and cultural discussions. :)

Guest JimmyK

Hey! You raised a very interesting cultural issue. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I think that obviously music plays an important role in defining ones "inner world". By listening to music we definately change our mood, hence we submerge into a world where we are in contact with plain music. Music absorbes us to the point that after or while listening to a specific song we can interpret the oustide world as we "see" it in the "inner musical world". For example if I listen to slow paced songs, I usally feel compelled to reflect and philosophize about current world or personal issues. Sometimes it happens to me that music drives me into this philosophical dialogue with my conscience and I don´t pay attention to other things that happen at the same time, just the music.

I personally find this quote interesting, thus it is related with this topic: "When words leave off, music starts." This quote draws a clear line between music and words, classifying music as the absence of words. Therefore when we sometimes listen to music we become wordless and somehow understand the world with musicality. The latter sentence is a clear example of how music sokes us into a "world" of perspectives different to ours. I hope you get my point. I love philosophical and cultural discussions. :)

I absolutely agree with you when you talk about the reaction of a person after listening to a song against the world. It is for sure a determinant factor the mood that a track conveys when you select it. Obviously that it depends on many things such as the instruments that it has, the beats per minute, etc. But it is really what defines a song: the subjective message that it transmits to the listener. Music is subjective and thus, we have a lot of divergence in regards to the opinions about various tracks, artists and musical styles. However, when you come to the point that music is the absence of words, I don't fully concord with it. There are various types of musical genres and many of them use words, more specifically, lyrics. Lyrics are also very important to lead to subjectivity. You see, lyrics most of the times leads to past experiences in the listener and in that way, the listener regards the song personally and in a subjective view which is different from all the other ones who are listening to that same track. This is exactly where music diverges people: In its subjectivity. It makes a song personal and that is why most pop singers are most successful as they talk about something that every person has, will and may be feeling (love).

Any ideas of how music joins people? :)

... Reality exists?

Descartes says no: you live in an illusion.

I believe that I'm living. I consist of cells that are not dead yet. They still make interactions with the surrounding environment and I can still process the stimuli that my sensory nerves acquire. From these stimuli, I'm still able to create mental images that in a junction of complex neuronal pathways. These mental images still arise emotions in me which leads to an interpretation of the mental images. These mental images still lead to a command of an action by the brain in my body which turns into a physical action.

So yes, I think reality exists from what I can perceive...

But I don't really know how this has anything to do with the topic, man. Can you actually find a relation??

Edited by Sandwich
Merging replies.

The question "reality exists?" is an answer to itself.

The effect of music is all up to the listening individual. I can choose to listen to one genre of music, maybe even just a select group of musicians/bands. I can choose to listen in solitude. I can choose to not share music with others. All of these are ways which I can close myself off with music, should I choose to do so.

On the other hand, I can listen to a large variety of genres, groups, movements, bands. I can discuss music with friends. I can sample the music tastes of others. And should I choose this route, then music becomes a means of widening one's world-view, rather than closing it off.

So not to demean your question, but to me it really seems like the topic is one of those that doesn't quite have an inherent debate, at least from my viewpoint.

Guest JimmyK

The effect of music is all up to the listening individual. I can choose to listen to one genre of music, maybe even just a select group of musicians/bands. I can choose to listen in solitude. I can choose to not share music with others. All of these are ways which I can close myself off with music, should I choose to do so.

On the other hand, I can listen to a large variety of genres, groups, movements, bands. I can discuss music with friends. I can sample the music tastes of others. And should I choose this route, then music becomes a means of widening one's world-view, rather than closing it off.

So not to demean your question, but to me it really seems like the topic is one of those that doesn't quite have an inherent debate, at least from my viewpoint.

It's not inherent if you don't develop it ;) You can actually oppose your ideas and see which one is the most significant to the society and to a person. It's quite difficult to say which one is the most preponderant effect of music (whether of closing or opening) and that's why I started this debate... But yeah, your opinion is your opinion

Guest JimmyK

Listening to music really helps me keep away distractions and focus on work/studies, especially Trance.

So yeah, it helps you close yourself in your own world...

It's not inherent if you don't develop it ;) You can actually oppose your ideas and see which one is the most significant to the society and to a person. It's quite difficult to say which one is the most preponderant effect of music (whether of closing or opening) and that's why I started this debate... But yeah, your opinion is your opinion

Well, yes, it's "quote difficult to say" because both sides can pull up perfectly adequate examples ad infinitum. But, many other things are like that as well, and I shouldn't be so philistine in my outlook.

Guest JimmyK

Well, yes, it's "quote difficult to say" because both sides can pull up perfectly adequate examples ad infinitum. But, many other things are like that as well, and I shouldn't be so philistine in my outlook.

Exactly because it being difficult I asked for opinions, otherwise, I'd have tried to figure it out by myself ;) Hmm, you know how you want to present yourself to others. I cannot force you to give a positive feedback about my statements or opinions... :|

Exactly because it being difficult I asked for opinions, otherwise, I'd have tried to figure it out by myself ;) Hmm, you know how you want to present yourself to others. I cannot force you to give a positive feedback about my statements or opinions... :|

Of course I know how I want to present myself to others? >_>

If you're attempting to insinuate what I think you are, I would be careful; your posts in a certain other thread are also very much presenting a certain image of yourself to others in return.

Guest JimmyK

Of course I know how I want to present myself to others? >_>

If you're attempting to insinuate what I think you are, I would be careful; your posts in a certain other thread are also very much presenting a certain image of yourself to others in return.

Mannn, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything... o.O I was just saying that you're the one who decides. Sorry if it offended you

Hahaha no, they are just opinions mate. Opinions do not formulate a personality. It's the other way round. And maybe I exaggerated a bit but the main idea was that I was against and that everyone got, I believe...

• 7 months later...