Get at least 30 points

cheriecherie

Hello. I'm an international student taking the exams in May (in 10 days :( )

I've got a conditional offer from a uni that I really want to get in, and I need to obtain at least 30 points to be formally accepted.

Although My predicted scores are higher than 30, I'm concerned about my final (real) IB grades.

Are there any important things or strategies to get 30 points other than studying really hard?

I'm taking

English A1 SL

Biology SL

Math SL

History HL

Psychology HL

Addition: I'm taking language A2 HL as well

I've been studying but I'm not confident at all because I have "Panic disorder".

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Merged two topics together-Maha

You must get the guides for each subject published by the IB and memorise each point of the syllabus (especially for the sciences and math). You need to know what the IB expects from you in each subject. For the latter you must know the command terms published in the guides for each subject.

Study, study and study is the other tip that won´t fail. Plus practice papers for all subjects.

For english A1 try to expand your mind and write interesting and clear essays that stick to the assessment criteria. Be creative and draw interesting and not so obvious conclusions. Remember, english is not a structural subject like math, where problems are solved by only one method, you can approach an essay in many ways, go for an original one, being reflective, clear, and thinking crittically. If you don´t know about the IB Learner Profile try to google it or search it in the IB Website. It is the profile that the IB intends their students to have. You can apply those characteristics to your exam papers especially english and the humanities. Here you have a copy of the IB learner profile http://www.ibo.org/programmes/profile/documents/Learnerprofileguide.pdf

BEST OF LUCK! and remember keep calm, the IB is not worth suffering your nerves. It´s all going to be more than okay. May the Lord help you if you´re catholic, if not you help yourself! :)

• Like 2

Guest JimmyK

Yes lol, first of all, you'll need 6 subjects.

From what I know about Bio SL and Maths, I can tell you that Bio is only knowing what is on the syllabus. But basically, you have to have it memorised, that's the best thing you can do. However, understanding is always important to apply the concepts in Section A, P2. Now, Maths SL is just basically doing loads of past papers and knowing how to solve exam-type questions. But to do that, you need to understand the concepts and know the core. Maths requires much of continuous work whereas for bio you won't need that continuous work if you have good apprehension ;)

So yeah, you've got few time, but don't stress out, it'll just make things worse. Do what you know in the exams and then move on to the things that you have most difficulty in. That's my advice. Oh and keep an eye on the time!

Good luck mate!

Edited by JimmyK
  • Like 1

Don't stress out! :D study daily instead of the last two weeks before your exams. That will not be of much help to you and instead make you more anxious. Aside from that. Do the practice exams and study using the course companions which are very helpful. Also, if you are allowed to use Data Booklets make sure to look at those BEFORE you take the exams so you know what you are going to be provided with and where everything is in the Booklet.

Good luck! :D

• Like 1

For Biology SL, there's one major thing you can do. Get a copy of the syllabus, and start going point by point making sure you know every single one of them. For example, if it says 'Explain', make sure you can explain, if it says 'define' make sure you can define it. I wouldn't go to past papers before I finished going through the syllabus.

Here's a topic you may find helpful: How to do well in Biology.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

Thank you everyone:) thats so helpful.

Is it possible to improve the final grades if I study hard very hard in 6 days??

I've been studying but I'm so nervous and I feel like I'm behind :(

Yes. You can make some significant progress in 6 days, especially if cramming works well for you. 6 days is plenty of time even if you need to learn a few concepts, and is definitely enough time to pick up some extra points by memorizing definitions and statements for certain objectives in science courses.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone:)

I think I might get 5 or 6 on the Math P1, and 4 or 5 on the Math P2 due to my stupid mistakes. (Forgot to subsitute, wrote a wrong coordinate for a vector equation, wrote "+" instead of "-" to find the area under a curve etc.)

I'm also not confident with psychology as well. I think P1 and P3 were fine, but made a mistake on P2. Hope to get at least 5 on psyc and math SL :crying:

So to make sure to get at least 30 points, I need to study really hard for Language A2 HL, History HL and Bio SL.

Is it possible to get 6 on History and Bio if I study hard. I've been studying, but I'm not confident :dash:

For Language A2, my predicted score is 7, but I still need to study very hard.

I also need to clear or switch my mind because I've been shocked about what I've done even though I know that thinking about the past is worthless.

Sorry I'm very perssimistic.

Edited by cheriecherie