How to start a MI?

Sonsie

So I have chosen my two cultures (Barque fugues and African Traditional Music) and I have chosen my African piece (does it matter its quite short?) and I have only one link so far which is polyphony. I was wondering if links in instrumentation is a good link as well?

So now that I have chosen my African piece and almost chosen my fugue, how do I start writing this? I honestly have no idea where to begin? What structure should I use and what should be discussed in the intro and body paragraphs?

Thanks for the help :)

IB has a long "laundry- list" of things you need to include in your paper. There's nothing to "make up", there's a list already made up for you and everything. You can ask you teacher for that list, or you can search it up on Google. Read what other people have done too (read good examples), so that you have a good idea of what you need to do.

Follow the criteria and make bullet points for everything. Brainstorm in an orderly fashion (so that it does not become too overhwleming, ahaha).

Ask for help :) Us IBers are here to help you as well, but your teachers are great ressources as well :D

PS: your paper needs to be an analytical work of 2000 words. The example that my teacher gave to me was to take two different types of music and analyze their similarities... see where they "overlap".

Edited by egr12resa

Also I would advise you against talking about instrumentation as a link.

^I would still advise you to talk to your teacher about this one. I'm not too sure if you should not talk about any instrumentation link whatsoever...

Well you should certainly mention a difference in instrumentation. But for the "musical link" I would recommend choosing something that allows for deeper analysis (harmony, form, timbre, etc)

• Like 1

Also I would advise you against talking about instrumentation as a link.

^I would still advise you to talk to your teacher about this one. I'm not too sure if you should not talk about any instrumentation link whatsoever...

Well you should certainly mention a difference in instrumentation. But for the "musical link" I would recommend choosing something that allows for deeper analysis (harmony, form, timbre, etc)

Yes. Certainly make a connection, but it needs to provide sufficient indepth analysis to prove that you have done your reasearch. This is, of course, a musical investigation. But still ask your teacher for help. They are there to help you, so why not go to them for aid? :D