Keeping on top of everything

why bother...

See this is my predicament...

I like the IB (obviously I have had the "why am I doing this" and "what's the point" thoughts, what IB student hasn't) but my problem is I am starting to find it hard to keep on top of everything.

I want to do well and I believe I have the ability to do so but as soon as I get out of college I can't sit down and study properly. I find have been leaving all work till the last minute for as long as I can remember and now, even when I make plans to do homework or coursework I always put them off.

I am in my second week of the Easter Holidays and I still haven't started anything significant college work wise. I want to do work but for some reason it isn't really going right for me.

I guess what I am getting at is that I would really appreciate some advice or words of inspiration, because this isn't GCSE's and I honestly doubt you can get by with no revision and work outside of college.

Edited by why bother...

You're right when you said you doubt you can get by without revision/doing work. You won't. When you get out of college, is there a place you can go to that has no potential distractions? A place in your house without a television set, radio, etc.? Or perhaps a room off to the side in a library? When you are ready to do your work, you should go directly there and just be there until you get all of your homework/coursework done. For me, when I leave school the last thing I want to do is do my homework, so I relax for an hour or two (or five....if I am feeling procrastinator-ish :blum:) before I start my work. Then I go somewhere without distractions and just do my homework, whether it is math, Spanish, history, etc. Give it a shot? :giveheart:

• Like 1

Sounds like a simple solution if you ask me, which is to get your act together!

To be honest, however, you don't need to do much work in IB1 so perhaps your ambivalence is a reflection of the fact that you've had nothing important to do. This is fair enough. Provided you put the effort in where it counts, namely:

- IAs and coursework (because they really make a difference to your overall grades)

- revision for Mock Exams (...for predicted Uni grades)

- revision the actual exams (to actually make it to Uni)

Then it doesn't matter if you slack off elsewhere. It may be that you're not that bothered because there's nothing to motivate you. Unless work actually counts for something, I know I share your attitude on that one. Homework seems like a total waste of time. However, if it's one of those three things I listed above, think of what you want to achieve (good IB grades), give yourself a kick up the arse and get on with it. Nobody 'can't sit down and study properly', it's just called lacking motivation. Work out what's going to motivate you (for most people it is the importance of Uni grades) and sort yourself out. I know for sure I wouldn't have managed to get into Uni or even offered a place (off the back of my mocks) if I hadn't put the effort in where it counted - and Uni changes the rest of your life!

Keep your eyes on the prize etc. ;)

• Like 1

Ahh well thanks and I think you have helped me formulate a winning solution!

Come the start of next term I am deactivating facebook (I am gona find it so hard but it needs to be done :( ) and leaving about an hour free at night study and revision. Plus where I have a smartphone I downloaded this app (I would give the link to it but I am not entirely sure if I am allowed) and basically, I have input all my homework and coursework including dates due and what needs to be for it, including how import it is, making AI's and coursework top priority.

Well, perosnally I am happy with this theory to getting on with work, so hopefully it won't fail in practice :D

I have the exact same problem to the point where I'll do anything but work and all i can say is you need a clean workspace and exercise plus having all your applications on your computers apart from the ones your working with open, you also needa tell your parents to just not disturb you because thats going to screw everything up, basically just have somewhere that you do nothing but work.

I have the exact same problem to the point where I'll do anything but work and all i can say is you need a clean workspace and exercise plus having all your applications on your computers apart from the ones your working with open, you also needa tell your parents to just not disturb you because thats going to screw everything up, basically just have somewhere that you do nothing but work.

Uhu I know exactly what you mean, except where there is a will there is a way - last week I locked myself in my room and had pc phone everything off. I spent an hour doing push ups and sit up instep of studying.... -.-

As your friend (and local drug contact), I strongly advise you to limit your 'things to get on top of' list to members of the other sex. Long term relationships are less fun but more dependable, and you get additional time to convince them to do more interesting things. Pulling an infamous 'all-nighter' is also best done in the company of such admirable beings, at least one and preferably several.

All these points are guaranteed to improve your mental and physical health.

• Like 3

See this is my predicament...

I like the IB (obviously I have had the "why am I doing this" and "what's the point" thoughts, what IB student hasn't) but my problem is I am starting to find it hard to keep on top of everything.

I want to do well and I believe I have the ability to do so but as soon as I get out of college I can't sit down and study properly. I find have been leaving all work till the last minute for as long as I can remember and now, even when I make plans to do homework or coursework I always put them off.

I am in my second week of the Easter Holidays and I still haven't started anything significant college work wise. I want to do work but for some reason it isn't really going right for me.

I guess what I am getting at is that I would really appreciate some advice or words of inspiration, because this isn't GCSE's and I honestly doubt you can get by with no revision and work outside of college.

Keep a well organised planner! Make sure you write down all of your due dates and whatnot and force yourself to comply with them. Also, if you are really desperate you could even ask you parents to literally prison guard you and make sure you do you homework for at least an hour or two just you at your desk before going on the computer to play/do homwork or whatever.

I think you are good, but you're just lacking of motivation.

What does usually motivate you? You need to find out. Once you found that out, keep it in mind, be happy and just work.

It's good that you've tried your best to avoid procrastination. I wish you good luck. But what is important is that you need to realise that you have a goal in life (do you?), you want to achieve it, and doing well in IB is one of the steps you need to accomplish in order to achieve that goal.

You need to get motivated. Your goals usually motivate you best.