Indochina/Vietnam: Origins and rise of nationalist/independence movements

Keel

This topic is dedicated to the Origins and rise of nationalist/independence movements in Indochina/Vietnam.

Nationalist and independence movements in Africa and Asia and post-1945 Central and Eastern European states

Origins and rise of nationalist/independence movements in Africa and Asia

• Anti-colonialism (opposition to Belgian, British, Dutch, French and Portuguese colonial rule)

• Nationalism, political ideology, religion

• Impact of the two world wars and the Cold War

• Other factors fostering growth of nationalist and independence movements

HL A&O: 1.Colonialism in South and Southeast Asia and Oceania—late 18th to the mid 19th century

•The political structure and the economic, social and cultural effects of the French colonial system in Indo-China

HL A&O: 3.Developing identities—mid 19th to early 20th century

Growth of modern nationalism: Indonesia (Dutch East Indies), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (French Indo-China)

HL A&O: 5.Origins and rise of nationalist/independence movements in Africa and Asia

• Growth of modern nationalism: Indonesia (Dutch East Indies), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (French Indo-China)

I did a mock the other day and the question was: ‘In what ways, and with what results, did the two world wars affect the growth of independence movements in Vietnam’.

The only thing I could say for the First World War was that it ‘weakened’ the metropol and that it led to an increase in nationalism as many saw in as a good opportunity. I had no evidence for this, do you know any?

My other point for WWI was the Treaty of Versailles which disappointed many Vietnamese nationalist as they were hoping that some sort of consensus could be to start off the decolonistation process (especially with Wilson's Fourteen Points to Congress and all this talk of self-determination in European colonies), nothing happened. This caused the Vietnamese nationalists to stop working with the French and to favour resistance rather than working with them.

So apart from that I didn’t have anything else for WWI.

• Like 1