Internal assestment Momentum Lab.

Sebastian House

Hi everyone, I need help please! I had to make a design for the Internal assessment and I did it relating friction with momentum: The basic idea of the lab is a pendulum that I release from an specific height (to be able to determine velocity) and it would crash against a block making it move. I measured the distance and with that I was able to determine the friction force knowing that Work in this case is equal to energy (kinetic energy)The force would be equal to the Ke over the distance. With the force I was able to determine the friction coefficient. I used blocks with different surfaces. The case is that the whole lab is focused on friction. But now!! my teacher told me I had to change the design part In order to be able to send it as a lab focused on momentum so I have to change my question my variables everything but with the same montage. I don't know what to do this is for tomorrow and I'm really stressed with this. If anyone can help me I'll be very grateful.

I'd have uploaded the file of the lab but as I see physics in Spanish I don't think everyone would be able to understand it. :S

Can't you find the momentum rather easily with what you are already measuring? mass of the pendulum, speed at which it goes? Try changing the height and then your velocity will change and then you can see if you can prove the relation between mass and velocity.

That would work I think. IV=Height (indirectly velocity) and DV=Momentum of the pendulum mass.