Economics EE- Suggestions for a Market Structures RQ

Nicholas Tsui

So I am doing my EE on Economics, and I have decided to investigate on the market structure of the pharmaceutical industry in Shanghai. To collect primary data, I will be interviewing one of the heads who works in Astrazeneca and hopefully having some access to the company's data. My research question will be "what is the market structure of pharmaceutical industry in Shanghai?"

I am not sure if the research question is sufficient and narrow enough. It sounds rather plain to me. I am also not sure if I can just determine the market structure by just investigating on one company since there are probably a lot more pharmaceutical firms in China.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Hey there

I'm doing a similar kind of EE: What market form characterizes the crude palm oil supply in Sandakan, Malaysia?

I know it sounds plain, but don't let that dishearten you. There's a reason why these topics are so common: it's a good one.

Simple, but succinct. I'm assuming that you'll be looking out for a certain type of market, like monopoly or oligopoly? You will definitely need to look at more than one company- you're investigating how this company reacts within its certain industry-the pharmaceutical industry, and don't make the mistake I did and look into one company's workings too much. You'd get carried away with all the intricacies of how they run their business etc, and only some of which is relevant to your question.

Essentially you're trying to find the best fit to one of the theoretical economic market types. Don't forget that, and don't ramble.

I have a very good extended essay that got an 34 out of 36 for a similar type of Essay, and I have read it about 5 times through now! Its great reading old essays. Tell me if you'd like to see it, I'll give it to you somehow.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Hey there

I'm doing a similar kind of EE: What market form characterizes the crude palm oil supply in Sandakan, Malaysia?

I know it sounds plain, but don't let that dishearten you. There's a reason why these topics are so common: it's a good one.

Simple, but succinct. I'm assuming that you'll be looking out for a certain type of market, like monopoly or oligopoly? You will definitely need to look at more than one company- you're investigating how this company reacts within its certain industry-the pharmaceutical industry, and don't make the mistake I did and look into one company's workings too much. You'd get carried away with all the intricacies of how they run their business etc, and only some of which is relevant to your question.

Essentially you're trying to find the best fit to one of the theoretical economic market types. Don't forget that, and don't ramble.

I have a very good extended essay that got an 34 out of 36 for a similar type of Essay, and I have read it about 5 times through now! Its great reading old essays. Tell me if you'd like to see it, I'll give it to you somehow.

Good luck.

Hi... I am doing a similar extended essay and i was actually thinking of doing it on just one firm but what you said does make sense... anyways i was wondering if you could please send me the essay that got 34/36... it would really help me out.

• 9 years later...
On 12/30/2011 at 7:17 AM, LouiseLai said:

Hey there

Good luck.

hey!

I am planning on doing EE in economics and my topic is again on the market structure of a company. Is it possible for you to share your extended essay? It would be really helpful..

I am leaving my email-id here: [email protected]

thank you so much!!