How the conc of HCl effects the amount of H2 produced

ibquestions

Hey :)

So, my experiment investigates how the concentration of hydrochloric acid effects the amount of hydrogen gas that is released:

Zinc + Hydrochloric Acid --> Zinc (II) Chloride + Hydrogen

I used the method of 'downward displacement of water' to help me obtain my results, and now I need to write up the lab haha :P but I always seem to have difficulty writing up the principle of method/measurement :( and I was wondering if I could possibly get some help?

As well as this, what are aspects that I need to include in my introduction(or background information) section? :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank-you

Edited by ibquestions

Hey :)

So, my experiment investigates how the concentration of hydrochloric acid effects the amount of hydrogen gas that is released:

Zinc + Hydrochloric Acid --> Zinc (II) Chloride + Hydrogen

I used the method of 'downward displacement of water' to help me obtain my results, and now I need to write up the lab haha :P but I always seem to have difficulty writing up the principle of method/measurement :( and I was wondering if I could possibly get some help?

As well as this, what are aspects that I need to include in my introduction(or background information) section? :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank-you

Your introduction could simply be a brief explanation of what your lab is about and maybe an explanation of why you chose the displacement of water to measure your results. Also why the displacement of water works the way it does.

Hello,

I presume you are doing a DCP (data collection and processing) and CE (conclusion and evaluation). If you are then there is no need for an 'introduction' as such. I always feel that people are wasting there time putting things into their IAs that won't gain them any marks. In my opinion you should go straight into laying out the data you have collected into tables and include the qualitative observations observed.

Have you seen this? The IB Chemistry Coursework Assessment Criteria in detail.pdf and the IA Guidelines.pdf would be the files to look at first. But remember to read the mark scheme (at the top of the page) first!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1