HL Biology and Chemistry?

I want to take HL Biology and Chemistry, but as I'm not very good at math, I have to take math studies. I've heard that taking both of these at HL would be really difficult because I'm not great at math. I'd like to go to medical school, so I will need a science based undergrad. I am also planning on taking a Pre-cal course after graduation in order to be accepted into university. Has anyone done both sciences at HL with math studies? Wouldit be better to just do SL Chem and HL Bio, or even just one science course( I don't really like that option)? I am also concidering med school in England, so if that makes any difference...

You should be fine to do both at HL with Maths Studies. There are no maths principles in Biology really, and relatively few in Chemistry. You can cope with Chem without doing SL Maths Methods, I reckon. At least I don't remember doing Maths Methods making me feel any less confused for HL Chem :P Really, the mathematical elements of Chem are kinda unrelated to the Maths syllabus and more difficult because they're difficult Chemistry concepts than because the Maths itself is hard.

Also, if you want to go to the UK, medical school spots are very competitive (I'm sure it's the same in Canada) and although it's not a requirement, it'll probably look better to do SL Maths than Maths Studies. Just saying whilst it's still early enough for you to consider! That and hardly any Medical schools (I think maybe 1?) in the UK will accept anybody without HL Chemistry ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Red XII

What little math is involved in Chem HL is almost exclusively algebra. You don't have to do a whole lot of it, and it's really just plugging numbers into formulas in a relatively straightforward manner. Your math ability shouldn't be much of a deciding factor in whether to take Chem (or whether to take it HL or SL).

As for taking both of them HL in general, it's definitely doable. Chem and bio can also complement each other, especially when it comes to the option topics in chem, so some of the overlap may reduce the overall difficulty.

The combination is great if you wanna get into medicine. As for math...if you know simple multiplication/division , addition and subtraction you will be fine coz in chemistry you only need that much. In biology there's nothing related to math..maybe like magnification but that's all. It's absolutely fine if you take studies. Hope you make a wise decision :)

You don't need to do SL Maths to do logarithms in Chemistry though. It's infinitely easier to do HL Chem and have your Chem teacher explain logs to you than it is to do all of SL Maths for the sake of logs.

To be honest, I barely understood logs and still managed HL Chem. Provided you know where the log button is on your calculator and how to anti-log something again, that's it.

Guest Soiboist

What Sandwich says seems reasonable. However, if you plan to go to the UK you would probably be better off taking Maths SL. If you're a May 2013 candidate, you can revise a bit of Maths during the summer to be more prepared for IB if you want to. Also, I really don't think that Maths SL should be too much of a problem as long as you work on it thoroughly throughout your entire two years. Swedish middle-school education is so horrible that outsiders would laugh at it, but still most people are taking Maths SL and doing alright. I honestly think that anyone could do it if they put work into it.

hey

I am doing Biology HL and Chemistry HL. For Biology you have to learn many things by heart while Chemistry is a subject you have to understand somehow. But it is possible to learn all this. Math is quite important but as long as you are able to solve simple equations and logarithms it should be enough to pass IB chemisty and biology HL.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm this might be late but I did this exact thing.

The most complex math in HL chem is logs (VERY simple logs at that) during the acids and bases topic. HL Bio doesn't even really involve math except magnification and percent changes (for the data analysis part of the test sometimes).

Even HL physics (from jut looking at the equation packet, I only took SL) doesn't involve any math beyond math studies really. And there is maybe 1 part where logs are needed which is radioactive decay. But that's physics, I was just trying to point out how the IB sciences don't use any complex math really :P

Personal Advice: Take both (it will help in medschool) and don't worry about the math.

Anyway, this is like 2 months old but I hope it will still answer your question :P