Choosing a university

zen16

I've been accepted to USC's College of Letters, Arts and Sciences for a biological sciences major, and am likely to enroll in their Freshman Science Honors program, which is basically an advanced version of the normal course with smaller class sizes and more opportunities/special events. I've also been accepted into McGill's Desautel's Faculty of Management and both UBC's and UT's Faculty of Science.

I am a Canadian citizen and so Canadian schools will be significantly cheaper for me. For example, McGill will cost me just over CAD$7000/year, but USC will cost almost USD$58000/year. Based on the following, could any of you lead me in the right direction? Right now I am leaning towards McGill for its price and campus life, but at the same time, I really want to attend USC for its smaller class sizes and location.

- I plan to continue study at a post-graduate level in the USA in the future, so a HIGH GPA at the undergraduate level is important to me. I've heard that Canadian public schools do not inflate, and sometimes "deflate" grades, whereas US private schools tend to inflate grades highly.

- The name; my parents are completely convinced that U Toronto is significantly more well-known than both UBC and McGill, and that attending U Toronto will give me a competitive edge when it comes to grad school/getting a job. When applying to a US graduate school, how will the name of USC compare to the Canadian schools?

- Cost; USC is a LOT of money and I'm wondering if it is a worthwhile investment. Does it really offer better chances in the job market/going to a US graduate school?

Thanks!

Edited by zen16

Hmmm, I would say to go to McGill. I've heard that it's a great university and it will cost a lot less money.

You don't have to do that though. If you really want to go to USC, then go ahead. :D

Also, did you get accepted to the Honors program at McGill?

Having graduated from an Honors program will make you more diverse for graduate school, which will certainly be a point in your favor for getting in. So USC will be good for that.

Edited by JoeGuff

hey zen16, well you should know, money is replaceable. i know it is expensive, but if you really want it then go ahead with USC. being in an honors program is a very good place to be. that way you might benefit even more, and basically that is what you should be looking for; which university should benefit your life more?

please don't take what we say here for heart, as we might not be right about it, but looking at how high USC is, i think it'll be the best for your education.

i'm sorry, but i have no idea about that switching major.

Best of luck

Thanks, pumpkinns! Yes you are right, money is replaceable, but it's a matter of whether it is a worthwhile investment. For example, will graduating from USC give me THAT much of an advantage over a UToronto grad? US$232,000 is an awful lot of money and may take a very long time to repay.

And Joe, I'm not even aware that McGill has honors programs. I was invited to the USC one, so that's how I was even made aware of it.

I guess popular opinion won't help me decide, but if anyone is or has been in a similar situation, I'd like to know what you decided to do and how that worked out!

Great advice! Is it possible to pay enrolment deposits to more than 1 institution and withdraw one later (I don't mind losing the money)? Since the toss-up between UT and McGill is so close for me, I plan to reserve my place at both universities, visit both in the summer, and THEN decide which one I want to attend. Is this possible?

Thanks again!