HL Biology exams--Studying the syllabus

IBavictim

Hi, I was wondering... is it enough just to study the biology syllabus for the hl exams? (my teacher just based her notes on that anyway =\ ) I'm worried that there would be new things on the exam that are unfamiliar to me.

Also, about how many hours should I spend studying? I know it differs with everyone, but I'd like a range so I could try to finish up by a certain time and move on to other subjects (like history :crying: )

:') I'd really appreciate your help/tips-thank you ! ^u^

Yes, there will be nothing outside of the syllabus in the exams. You should check the past papers to see what's required from.

I've probably done around 40 hours of biology revision so far and am planning to do about 25 more hours before the exams, although I am studying SL Biology and have studied pretty consistently throughout the course. As mentioned above, check past papers, see how you do, and with the performance that you want in mind decide on how long you should spend on studying :)

There will be nothing outside the syllabus, just make sure you know every single point in the syllabus. The only thing that may be outside the syllabus is the Section A of P2, apart from that every single thing is from the syllabus. Mostly P1 questions are from the OBJ1 syllabus points.

This may help you.

As for the hours, I didn't count how many hours I studied because I studied biology everyday from the beginning of IB, so at the end of IB2, I just had to revise a little to recall things from IB1.

The only thing that may be outside the syllabus is the Section A of P2, apart from that every single thing is from the syllabus

Yup that's what I said. Though to be honest with you, graph reading could be practiced in class if a teacher is really experienced and all. But I never studied for section A..so just concentrate and you'll be fine.

Guest Soiboist
The only thing that may be outside the syllabus is the Section A of P2, apart from that every single thing is from the syllabus

Yup that's what I said. Though to be honest with you, graph reading could be practiced in class if a teacher is really experienced and all. But I never studied for section A..so just concentrate and you'll be fine.

Ahhh I never saw that,and yeah it's just a detail since you should know that without studying anyway.

There will be nothing outside the syllabus, just make sure you know every single point in the syllabus. The only thing that may be outside the syllabus is the Section A of P2, apart from that every single thing is from the syllabus. Mostly P1 questions are from the OBJ1 syllabus points.

Actually, Section A of Paper 2 is always also in the syllabus. It's always a principle from the syllabus anyway. A lot of people find it very confusing, but if you remember that it is from the syllabus and just think through all that you've learned and which theories appear relevant to it, it's actually really easy. I say this only because I know a lot of people have a "WTF?!?" moment on Paper 2 which is entirely unnecessary. It's not exactly barn-door obvious, but it's only a matter of thinking for a moment before you can figure out which bit of the syllabus they're relating it to.

I didn't study as I went along and I think I did about 2 days of solid Biology revision, so maybe 14-16 or so hours. Then intense cramming just before the exam! Basically look at the syllabus and work out how long it's going to take you to go through every single bit of it. That's exactly the amount of time that is required for revision :P If you miss out any of the syllabus, you're only shooting yourself in the foot. I printed the syllabus out and went through making notes, ticking each point of the syllabus off as I went. Start a bit of it and see how long it's taking you, then you'll know how much longer you have left to go. It's a long, hard but ultimately hugely worth-while slog. Remember, revision is never about time, it's about content. If you revised for 70 hours but still didn't finish, there was no point. If you revise for 10 hours and finish it all, you have succeeded.

The only really difficult bits that'll require slightly longer are Photosynthesis and Respiration (HL).

Yes true, I assumed it's on the introduction or simulation or whatever it's called, lol. I didn't really give it anytime. I am sure many people including you agree that you can work half of section A correctly and section B you should do perfectly with P1, P3 and your IA you can easily get a 7.

To be honest, sometimes section A is a very bitchy section of the exam. I hated it so much.

does anyone know where i can get the biology hl syllabus from?

click4biology.info has the syllabus and notes for each section.

alternatively, googling the HL biology syllabus will definitely give you it :)

check out the links page on ibsurvival! there are a whole load of amazing biology (revision) sites available :D