Graphs in the whole IAs

Nishad Potdar

First of all, thank you very much for reading! But don't stop, please comment-HELP ME!

So the thing is, we're down to the business end of our IAs in our school. Every thing's going very smoothly. But I have major problems in Chemistry IAs, specifically in DCP and CE.

We've done 40 hours of lab work and I don't think I can do anymore of it. Yet, if it is necessary, I can definitely get my teacher to allow me to do some more labs.

Sorry for the circumlocution; I'll get to the point right away. None, I mean "NONE" of our experiments allow for plotting graphs. I mean meaningful graphs whose gradients or intercepts can be used to process data. Some experiments didn't even allow for any quantitative data. Everything was purely qualitative (like identifying metals from flame tests, or identifying esters from their smell).

The good thing is that only 2 labs in DCP and 2 in CE will be assessed, so I can still ask my teacher to give me some more lab access. I do have a few lab write-ups where stoichiometric analysis has been done (like finding composition of commercial CuCO3 or aspirin). I have propagated the uncertainties in these calculations, but I couldn't plot a graph (how could I?). I am afraid that I'll lose marks due to this. In case you're wondering what my aim is, it's 48/48 (Probably already acheived in Physics HL). And I am an SL Chem student. Need to submit final write-ups in a week-should be enough to do 2-3 more experiments. HELP! What should I do?!

It would probably be useful to have some sort of graph in at least one of your labs to show your data processing and presentation skills are up to nick. I don't remember if it's in the SL syllabus or just on the HL syllabus, but some sort of Rate of Reaction-type lab ought to give you a nice graph :) I couldn't tell you whether you NEED one, however. Technically speaking it's not specified in the mark scheme.

It would probably be useful to have some sort of graph in at least one of your labs to show your data processing and presentation skills are up to nick. I don't remember if it's in the SL syllabus or just on the HL syllabus, but some sort of Rate of Reaction-type lab ought to give you a nice graph :) I couldn't tell you whether you NEED one, however. Technically speaking it's not specified in the mark scheme.

Best quantitative data from lab would certainly be kinetics :) You could graph...I don't know, temperature against time and through some conversion and what not you could find a rate as your gradient :)

Right, thanks a lot! I have plotted this graph in one of my experiments- Temperature vs time taken to complete the reaction. Any ideas on what the gradient of this graph is (remember I am an SL student)? So this is one which I'll send to the IB.

For the other one, what you guys are saying is that graphs aren't neccessary to get a 'complete' on all 3 aspects of DCP and CE. So if I have done appropriate stoichiometric analysis (like in titration experiments) with propagation of uncertainties, I can get completes on all aspects. Is this what you're trying to say? Please confirm.

Thanks a lot again!

Haha, thanks a ton people!!!

I SEARCHED UP THE MAY 2009 and 2010 subject reports and found this:

DCP: This criterion should be assessed through investigations that are essentially quantitative, either calculation and/or graph based. If a purely qualitative investigation has been assessed for DCP then the maximum award would probably be p, n, n = 1.

All investigations for the assessment of DCP must include the recording and processing of quantitative data.

Teachers are encouraged to set DCP tasks that will generate a graph that will require further processing of the data such as finding a gradient or intercept through extrapolation.

What do you make of this? Drake Glau, I get your point. But this thing about "encouraging graphs" confuses me all over again!!!

The saddest part about the IB is that students have to suffer because of teachers' mistakes

DAMN!