investigating homologous series

sowon

ahhg ok i will not panic. ok so will anyone be so kind to help me with this topic. i'm thinking about investigating whether homologous series differ in reaction rate...so this also involves kinetics..which i am not very good at. i was thinking about doing a bromination but my BIGGEST PROBLEM is measuring the reaction rate. help anyone? should i completely change my idea? i guess if i'm desperate i'll do an investigation about their physical properties..but yeah :/

Hi,

Could you give us the title of your task so we know what is involved? I'm not sure whether there is a common reaction which you could do for 5 different homologous series.

What you can do is to measure the time taken for ethen, propene, but-1-ene and pent-1-ene (change in chain length within ONE homologous series) to react with a fixed volume and concentration of bromine solution. Remember that the alkenes have to be in excess for the bromine solution to turn colourless.

this is a design lab so all i'm told to do is investigate homologous series. so my question is how do i measure that color change? like should it be subjective like whatever changes color first? and thank you for replying :)

this is a design lab so all i'm told to do is investigate homologous series. so my question is how do i measure that color change? like should it be subjective like whatever changes color first? and thank you for replying :)

It could be subjective to keep it simple or you could you a colourimeter and label the point where the line stabalises to be the time in which the reaction has stopped (this is a unneccessary complication of the experiment).