IA Internal Citations Help?

Fdoyle11

So, my school has now idea what it's doing with IB. They keep changing the rules about how we have to do everything (I'm half-convinced they're going to make "four legs good, two legs better" a rule next year) and now my History IA is due tomorrow and I'm confused about the internal citations format. My topic has to due with American Cold War policies, so I have a lot of government documents and I'm not sure how to parenthetically cite them. For example, I use the Atlantic Charter, but it feels stupid saying "In 1941, the Atlantic Charter laid out ideals for ending the conflicts and restoring liberty to the post-War world (The Atlantic Charter)." I also have, for example, a speech by Truman on initiating the the Containment policy, I never mention it by name in the text, but I reference the speech, I think that I just put Truman in parenthesis next to the information, but I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Well normally you have to reference your sources, so although you have said 'The Truman Doctrine stated that "..."' you will need to reference it.

Here is a link with the different styles of referencing, pick one and it should tell you how to cite an official governement document.

I would honestly suggest footnoting your references, than having a reference page at the end. It makes your essay look so much neater. And you don't have those silly parentheses at the end of a bunch of sentences. This is the site I suggest to tones of people. Find history on it, and it will give you the most common referencing style (Chicago/Turabian) and it honestly explain almost every sort of document you would ever need to reference: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/resdoc5e/

Or here, this is the actual page for history: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/resdoc5e/RES5e_ch10_s1-0001.html

Just hit the little drop down button and there is a whole list of document styles that it gives examples for.